Register now to get rid of these ads!

PPG Delstar ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb

I was given 3 gallons of PPG Delstar acrylic enamel paint. The tech sheet specifies a DXR80 urethane hardener, or a DU5 urethane hardener, and a DTR 600-604 acrylic enamel reducer.The mix ratios are different for each of the mentioned hardeners. I don't have a PPG dealer near me, and I'm thinking this stuff may not even be made anymore ??? Can any of you more experienced bodymen / painters tell me if any other urethane hardeners may work ? I imagine that I could use just about any enamel reducer, but mixing hardeners has me spooked.....Or is it trial and error time ??

2. aircoup

aircoup

usually any universal hardener will work , but do a sprat out and let it dry to be sure ''

3. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

I also have a few gallons of the delstar enamel,Used a universal hardner from tractor supply,Worked ok but is was just sprayed on some equipment-do not know if if will hold up in the sun.

4. Willy301

Willy301

I think Delstar is the equivalent of Imron, if so, it can be some nasty stuff. Wear your mask!

5. delstar is an acrylic enamel, as said a universal hardner for acrylic enamels will work. i sprayed my plow truck with delstar that was 20+ years old using a universal hardner. what are you going to use it for?

6. Abomb

Abomb

<<< The friend who gave it to me doesn't like yellow :D

I was honestly thinking of painting my 55 orange, sometime in the future. Three gallons of free paint means I can do it right now. I'm going to do a couple of test panels, because I can't make up my mind between an orange / off white combo, and an orange and dark gray combo.

7. i'd go with the creamsicle look myself. what else, can you talk him into, not liking?

8. <------- is Delstar, painted in 97

As said, it's still available, as are the hardeners...and generic A/E hardeners will work fine :cool: Wear a respirator, cause the hardener contains isocyanates. Old trick...use lacquer thinner on jambs/small parts....dries pretty fast. Delstar can be cut and polished like anything else, and makes a nice finish. :)

9. Abomb

Abomb

The 327 under the hood came out of his shop corner as well...I paid him for that though, I'm hoping that he dislikes the interior soon, in fact it'd be nice if he down right hates it....:D

Actually, I have no idea why he gave me the paint, someone gave it to him and he just didn't need it I guess. I'm sure he's thinking that it would look better than the yellow...plus, I have a suspicion he is buttering me up, as his roadster project will be needing paint soon, and I'm turning out to be the local Earl Shieb....not the famous and talented HAMBer Earl, the cheap painter Earl...Thanks famous and talented Earl.

10. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I always loved the PPG Acrylic Enamel. I know of some 25 yr old jobs
    that still look good.

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I used to use Delstar for years until I had to do repairs on them. I found out that they do not feather very easily and once you hit the Primer under them, you get a very uneven surface that has to be filled with primer and blocked.

12. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

DU5 is a very common PPG hardner, Reducer is still made also. Theres a store that sells PPG in Atwood.