Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide shift sequence?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spark, Dec 12, 2010.

1. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have recently got hold of a 2 speed power glide and 283 sbc to go in a 27 chev modified that I am collecting parts for.

I was wondering about the shift sequence is it – P N D L R ?

The reason I ask is I have looking at 57 chev gauge and noticed the P..N.D.L..R on the bottom of the speedometer.

I was thinking of setting up a cable from the floor shift to the gear select part of the gauge.

I have heard the power glide is easy to rebuild.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Any suggestions on rebuilding? Who sells a good overhaul kit for them?
    Things to watch out for?

The power glide is the short aluminum case, out of a 63 chevy.

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

PRNDL on aluminum case

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Cast iron glide = PNDLR
    As 26 roadster says Alum glide =PRNDL
    Dave

4. coupemerc

coupemerc

The gear sequence is P-R-N-D-L. They are easy to rebuild. Try to get your hands on the Powerglide Transmission Handbook by Carl H. Munroe (HP Books).

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

PNDLR for the cast iron. How do I know? I stare at mine every day for miles on end.

6. squirrel

squirrel

heh....they were pndlr thru 57, then prndl starting in 58. 62 was the first year of aluminum, and last year of iron.

So you're all wrong. And you're all right.

7. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

Now I'm REALLY confused...

But it doesn't matter because I haven't had anything with a powerglide in it since the 70's.

IIRC my 65 Belair quadraport winter beater was PRNDL.

8. RDR

RDR

I do seem to remember pulling into low on my '56 chevy years ago and grabbing reverse for an instance...just long enough to scare me to never do that one again...lucked out that nite but now that I think about it, that was probably the reason my torq converter went out a few months later....?!!

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

10. squirrel

squirrel

He says it's an aluminum transmission from a 63, so it's PRNDL

1950-57 was the other pattern.