Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Power steering.. to good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocsas, Jan 5, 2020.

1. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

So I got some work done on my 41 DeSoto, I custom made the power steering brackets for the pump and everything looks good and doesn't squeal no noises, but you can take the steering wheel and flick it from one lock to the other without even holding it, has anyone ever had this problem before? The steering box is 1969 Camaro z28 and the pump is out of a 1983 Chevy truck.
    Also the car got into a magazine from showing off LOL FB_IMG_1578111301243.jpg 20200103_1920091.jpg

David Gersic and scotty t like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

I thought that was your daily driver...just saying.

3. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

It is as of a week ago but even as a daily I'll still beat the heck out of it when I get a chance, I'm kind of building it as I'm driving it so I'm slowly adding stuff and fixing things

4. BJR

BJR

Sounds like you have too much pump pressure.

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>The steering box is 1969 Camaro z28 and the pump is out of a 1983 Chevy truck. >>>

It'll be fine without the pump. Jack E/NJ

6. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

Been driving it for a year now off and on now everyday with no pump and its not bad, power steering is more for my wife, plus I already had the power steering box on it, I might as well make it work

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

There are companies that offer a pressure reducer for GM P.S. pumps.
    I would look into one of those to reduce the line pressure thus increasing steering effort.
    You could also try a smaller diameter steering wheel.
    KK

loudbang and rocsas like this.
  8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Don't quote me, but I thought even Speedway Motors offered a reducer gizmo at the right price...

9. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

It's definitely the most light and fast steering I've seen in my life, I changed the spring and valve to one out of a early 70s GM pump and it helped a little bit but it's still way too fast and light I'm going to change the springs tomorrow but if that doesn't fix it I'll look into the restrictors

Thank you,
    Dillon

10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Mimilan

Mimilan

You might be better off finding another Saginaw pump off a lightweight GM car from the early 70's because trucks pump can put out more than twice volume. [The flow restrictor is in the relief valve]

I would also check first to see if the relief valve isn't stuck [closed] causing too much pressure.
    Borgeson make a pressure reducing "shim kit" https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

BUT,

You also need to look at the steering box. A weak torsion bar will do what you are describing .This allows the steering column to rotate the spool valve with minimal resistance

Start with the easy stuff first , before doing the "dismantle of death"

Edit: @rocsas Did you get custom hoses made? If they are crossed [put on back to front] it will do as you describe.
    It almost acts like the power steering is "possessed"

Check it against another vehicle

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

early mopars have this same problem. if you have a saginaw pump the solution for this is free. just unscrew the the power side of the pump. unscrew the bug nut. the valve will come out. sometimes a magnet is needed. once out, grab a hold of the middle of it (vice grips work best, but do not gaul it up) and unscrew the small nut. there will be a small washers on it. add some more and then put it back together.if i remember right they put out something well over 1200 psi. doing this fix can drop it down to almost nothing. best is about three .030 thick washers and this will drop it to about 800 psi. this fix works best on the saginaw box. i hear you can do this with the federal mogul and the trw box but i have never seen it done. i hear it's more complicated. i learned this from a mopar mag and have done it on my '63 belvedere and it dose work.