Register now to get rid of these ads!

power steering swaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkk, Oct 22, 2013.

1. darkk

darkk

Any power steering boxes fit the 46 ford pickup frame with minimal work. Don't want rack and pinion. The original box appears a bit too sloppy for me. Need to figure out what to do with it....

2. James Curl

James Curl

I believe that Toyota Tocoma four wheel drive trucks with power steering used a side steer box with a drag link to the drivers front wheel. I am not sure if your pick up is cross steer or drag link steer. If cross steer it might be possible to use any modern rear steer power box mounted to the frame in the same area as the original on a new bracket.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

GM rear steer power boxes are the same rotation as front steer boxes...only difference is pitman arm faces forward on rear steer.....rearward on front steer.

On some Fords (trucks/bronco) that is not the case..

4. darkk

darkk

I'm assuming cross steer is with the steering rod from the box to the opposite (right side) wheel. That's what I have. Can that be converted to run to the drivers wheel?

5. James Curl

James Curl

About anything can be done if you have the skills or can find some one who does have the skills to do either one of the styles of steering. Unisteer, if I spelled it correctly makes a rack and pinion cross steer set up for old Ford cars, you might check with them. It mounts to the frame and runs a cross tie rod to the passenger side front wheel just as your present steering does.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I believe the 42-47 PU with the parallel spring front uses the same cross steering box and mount as the cars of that era. A GM manual 525 steering box will nearly bolt to a stock Ford steering mount. Those were used on 60's era Chevelles, and S10. So the 605 power steering box should also work as they bolt to the same mount in those cars. You may have to rotate the pitman arm 90 degrees.

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a HHR or Cobalt column swap? It will work with any box and can be hidden behind most dashes. There are only 3 wires to hook up the electric power steering. Everything under the hood looks original. Not expensive at most yards, and still plentiful, at least till the word leaks out.