Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power Steering for '47 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Dec 22, 2013.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Having used my '47 to back up my dragster trailer up my very narrow driveway has proven to be a major PITA with the stock steering so...

Here's what I did to add Power Steering.

First was trying to find the optimum space - in my case there was a slight space claim issue due to the size of the Early Hemi motor in there.

So After fiddling around for a day I thought I knew roughly where I wanted the box. To test it I made a plate (temporary) to mount the box in a couple of positions.

After settling on a place I made an adapter plate with some bosses welded on to mount the Saginaw PS box. I then transferred the "test" hole from my temporary plate to my adapter.

In the first picture of the adapter you can see REV 1 of my plate. I later optimized it for additional clearance for the spring clamp - you can see that if you look at the last pic where it's mounted to the truck frame.

Somewhere in the middle of this firedrill I had to shorten the factory column. That was a straight forward deal where I turned the end down to .750 (originally it was .760" dia - just big enough to NOT fit into the GM double D piece of column I had laying around. After that I machined two flats.

I debated whether or not to put a roller bearing in the end, but having seen factory setups with a bushing I figured I'd give it a try. I can always change it later if it turns out to be a bad idea.

The double D piece of tubing will be welded to the intermediate flange - in the pic below it is shown separated, but that was just to facilitate the mocking up of parts.

BTW please ignore the trans cooler lines - they are temporarily displaced due to my space claim issue. I will be redoing those as well. To Be Cont'd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Who hoo- - Got it all working tonight. Used an old pump I had marked "327". Used some Parker 2 wire hydraulic hose - good for 3,000 psi or so. The hydraulic lines are nice - I can preassemble them for a perfect fit and then get them crimped after I know they're right.

I made the brush holder out of some delrin and an old motor brush I had laying around- I had previously welded a 1/2-13 nut to the column - easy to replace the whole assy need be.

[​IMG]

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

UPDATE: After driving this for a bit I decided that the conversion works a bit TOO GOOD. It's so easy to steer now that you loose the feel of the road. I think one of the reasons for this is the huge diameter factory steering wheel - which I took great pains to keep so... after reading up a little - I decided to shim the PS pump to reduce the pressure a tad.

No spare pumps around to scavenge a washer from so I dug up some tubing the right size and parted off a shim. I opted to make it .031" thick - a lot of guys were using more, but being a first timer at this - small steps seem to make the most sense.

After going around the block I would say it's 100% better and I am quite happy with it thus far - has a much better road feel now. Super easy to do - made it a huge bonus!!!!!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, somehow I missed this the first time you posted it and as I have been contemplating something similar for Chevy AD trucks it is pretty timely.

My buddy had a rolling chassis for a late 40's early 50's Studebaker pickup at his house for a while and it came with cross steering on it from the factory. I was looking at it as a chassis for a project that didn't materialize.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I forgot about this thread, but to add one final update (I hope it's the last one). Anyways early on I had debated whether or not to use the factory mtg locations/methods as I didn't really like it much. The stock box is mounted thru ONE wall of the chassis and with 3 3/8" bolts. After noticing that it had a fair amount of movement I decided that I should have gone with my gut instinct and thru bolted and upped the bolt size to 7/16" - which I have now done. I also added a 4th location so I now have 3 or the 4 mtg bolts bolted thru the frame. While this was a very easy upgrade - I should have just done it from the beginning. No harm no foul, but I would recommend this approach instead of learning the hard way like I did. ;-)