Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powdercoating kits by Eastwood, what do you think of them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Hey all,
    I'm looking at getting a powdercoating kit for my classes to exparament with. I've heard that Eastwood's not the best company to deal with, but they have reasonable prices. Has anyone here used their "Hotcoat" powdercoating kit? How well does it work? My students thank you for your input. Have a nice day.

-Jeff Tanko

2. badpat

badpat

it works great, and eastwood have always been good to deal with
    sincerely johnny eastwood jr.

3. skipperman

skipperman

Bug... All I can tell ya is my cousin bought one and did his intake and some brackets a couple years ago and they still look GREAT !!!I,personally,have never had a bad experience with Eastwood.........and i've used them quite a few times.........

Jersey Skip

4. Haven't tried the powder coating thing, but I did do some exhaust manifolds with their ceramic coat kit. It worked like a champ.

Didn't have any trouble getting my stuff and it was everything they said it was.

if it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]

5. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I bought one a number of years agao and have had good luck with it. The lower cost unit has a set power level which is it's only negative. I have done all different size parts with mine. I have even coated the trailer hitch for my car and cured it using a Quartz heater. follow direction and everything is fine. I got a dedicated oven so my wife doesn't get up set. I blast everything first and use rubber gloves to keep them clean. Once I even ran some parts through the Dishwasher in the kitchen ( the wife wasn't home) these parts came out just as clean and coated fine. I recently used there Black wrinkle paint and it too worked like a charm.

It is well worth the minimal investment. [​IMG]

6. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

awesome for any small parts. A-arms, brackets, small engine cases and things like that. Anything bigger than a bike frame might be a hassle - and if you are working with larger peices all of the time I would suggest a professional grade set-up, but then you will just be having trouble findine a good way to bake the large stuff.

For kids in a shop class, it is perfect. It will make the kids look like pros - you can't really screw it up. Good prep work and clean parts will come out flawless if they are coated and noone knocks them around before the baking process. I would guess you'll boost some egos after the hands on part is all over.

7. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

I use a kit from Chicago Pnumatic. A little cheaper than the Eastwood kit but I have had good results with it. Bought a flea market toaster oven for 10.00 & thats all you need. Only did small stuff ( brackets & alt case so far) and as long as the prep work is good, the results are very good. Eastwood is about 1 hour from me & I like to go to the retail store & drool. Staff is helpful & quality is good.

8. fastcat

fastcat

I have their beginner kit. I bought it before they had their new pro model. I use it all of the time. I used it today as a matter of fact. I have a IR light I use to cure most of the stuff. I attached a pic of tyhe front of my cougar I powder coated with it. I am getting ready to do the frame for my packard with it soon. Patience is important when doing parts of this size. I have never had a problem with any of the parts I coated using it. I blast everything before I coat it as well. I also like to wipe the part down with laquer thinner before I coat it and let it dry good to make sure everything is clean. Be sure to keep the gun clean as it can effect how well it charges the powder, if you don't clean it every once in a while the powder will build up a bit on the metal rod that charges the powder.Shawn

Attached Files: