Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder Coat Wheel Price ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Jan 10, 2011.

1. What is a fair price to powder coat a factory 15" steel wheel? Can anyone recommend a good place to do this in MD/southern PA?

Thanks

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dont have any powder coating info ,Just think powder coating is overated ,You can achieve professional results with painting them .Powder coat isnt that smooth ,

3. I paid $150 to have 4 steel caddy wheels done in red a few years ago.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I been buying my wheels from the Wheelsmith and they charge 35.00 per wheel. I have had 2 sets done in gloss black and it looks like hand rubbed paint!

Scramboleer likes this.

5. I have also had 2 sets done by wheelsmith with excellent results, one set is 4 years old. I live on a badass dirt road and they still look real good.The ones on my avatar.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

Powered coat is the only way to go on steelies. I pay 100.00 for a set of 4. If done right, they will look as good as painted wheels and will last much longer!
    My 2 cents worth!

7. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

I paid $35 a wheel for some caddy wheels, and they look great, nice, shiny gloss black. Got them done here in CO though.

8. sololobo

sololobo

Getting them done by someone like Wheelsmith at $35.00 is a sweet deal. New wheels are much easier to do. Preowned wheels can be pretty rough from road scars etc. as well as some previous coatings being very hard to blast off. Unless you use a high temp special filler, no cosmetic work can be done. We are charging $100.00 a set and thats not a big profit picture. For what its worth. ~sololobo~

9. robleticia

robleticia

I paid $120 for all four and they were rusted pretty bad. They turned out great, three years no problems and they were sitting outside for over a year until my garage got built. I would do it again in a heart beat!

10. i painted mine . like 23 bucks to do 4 rims.. baked them in my oven at homefor 3 hours at 375 . took a few days but save money . almost 2 years of daily driving .. snow salt pot holes one chip and handles hub caps just a thought.

11. The truck in my avatar wheels were blasted, $50.00, then I had to replace a few hubcap clips,$10.00, and the powder coating was $100.00.

12. Thanks for the info.

13. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Cost !60.00, located 2miles from Bay Bridge

14. local place near me quoted $75 per wheel... ouch

15. I get 60 or so for those, thats media blasting and single color. S. Houston area

16. mink

mink
    from CT

Can we get an update, what's the rate these days

17. I agree with John here. There is more then one down side to powder coating, if you opt to change color it is a real pain in the ass if the wheel is powder coated.

That said someone mentioned 35 bucks a wheel and that sounds pretty fiar for around here.

18. clifforddean

clifforddean

Try commercial truck tire shops they usually sand blast and powder coat in house. If not they have a company that will do it for them.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. ^ agree with PnB. Out here in wonderfull CA(aarrggg) it's a lil more steeper than the prices that have been mentioned. So is everything else.
    I did my own wheels- got a free electric oven=everyone want a gas one,bought an eastwood kit,and presto-change-o,powdercoated wheels!,+ anything I can fit in the oven.Came out cherry!
    Might concider DIY!

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

The western eleven states has Les Schwab tire centers.
    They have done a few sets that were in somewhat rough shape.
    Was 25 a wheel for blast And powder coat. They now charge an extra $4 bucks for a box to ship them back in. .

I'm happy with the product.

21. mink

mink
    from CT

I just got quoted 300 for a set from one place and 200 from another

22. mink

mink
    from CT

Is this too much, fair?

23. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

Just did a set of 19" alloys for an OT car, Charged $40 to strip the set in the dip tank, and $50 each for matte black. $240 total.

24. aldixie

aldixie

Who did you use?

I need a pair of 35 wheels powder coated to match two I already have.

25. jkeesey

jkeesey

Weavers in Honeybrook PA did a buddy of mines 32 18" spoke wheels for $25 a wheel. That was blasted and coated.