Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Poverty caps and 40 Ford spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Hi gents...
    I want to put poverty caps (bottle caps) on my 40 Ford axle Front and back. As you all know the rear axle spindle sticks out a long way. My question before I spend 160+ for four inside nub 15" poverty caps...will they fit. I know the 15" Merc wheels with the dog dishes hit the rear spindle nut. What say you? ty, g

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

go for it--they fit from the factory

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Not sure what hub cap you are referring to. Are you referring to the cap style that is the same as the Merc caps? We used to call those caps that look like that and came on later trucks and vans as "dog dish'. They are for wheels with outside nubs however. Are you referring to the "baldy" style of after market caps of the 50's/60's? A picture here would go along way. Just copy and paste a picture from the catalog where you see the $160 caps.

4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Here goes... "Bottle caps" or poverty caps or what ever. 40.00 ea from Bob Drake. Fit 52 F1 inside nub wheels. Plan to use these and smooth beauty rings. Will they clear the spindle of a 40 Ford rear end?

[​IMG]

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

They fit 40's from the factory but what about inside nub wheels from an F1 pickup? These wheels look better (to me) than the Merc style with the outside nubs. I have both...

6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THE 40-48 FORD/MERC (INSIDE NUB CAPS) AND 49-50 MERC CAPS(OUTSIDE NUBS) HELEN HIBERNATES 016.JPG WILL CLEAR JUST FINE.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

8. Dawg Dish, I just wanted to add that to the mix. I know what you meant by bottle caps by the way, I don't know why anyone else wouldn't catch it.

I think that if you are going with a stock replacement cap there is no reason in the world why it wouldn't fit. I do know that the Ford caps have a little more dome that the mercury caps if that is any help at all.

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Thanks I finally got someone @ Bob Drake to measure one. Geeeeze Louise what a chore that was regardless, I believe they will fit. ty g