Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post Cord Street Rod Pictures Here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

2. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Let`s chip in on this and toss a road flare in it.

3. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

They very well could be different cars. Will have to contact the guy in Uruquay and find out.

4. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

LOL. For some odd reason, I can not disagree with that idea.

5. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

This Graham Hollywoood is For Sale in Canada. I really like this car.

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Graham-Hollywood-Sedan/36292

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" width="100%"><tbody><tr></tr><tr> <td colspan="3" valign="top"> Frame off restored, no rust ever, rock solid straight as an arrow body with unreal paint fit and finish, Italian Leather Tan interior seats and door panles with Hollywood Graham embroidered on the seat backs,Wool carpets and floor mats, Cloth headliner and visors, Tinted bronze glass throughout, Electric wipers, Classic gauges, rewired, Vintage A/C blows cold with heater defroster,CD sound system,Detailed trunk area, Radials on Custom ordered steel wheels painted and have Rings and Hollywood caps,Chromed bumpers and grill all new, sits perfectly drives the same way,Nova clip with power disc brakes, Turbo 350 Automatic and column shifter, Tilt with Hollywood Banjo wheel,Power steering, 10 Bolt rear end highway geared to cruise.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Attached Files:

6. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

[​IMG]

1941 Graham Hollywood - Rare Breed

Philip Linhares' '41 Graham Hollywood

From the December, 2010 issue of Rod & Custom

By Peter Vincent

[​IMG]

Approximately 1,400 of these cars were produced in 1940, and 400 in 1941. Phil Linhares has had a '41 Graham Hollywood on his mind since he was 14 years old-more precisely, when a straight-piped, dirty white Graham happened to cruise by him on Virginia Avenue when he was growing up in Modesto, California. From that point in time, he knew someday he'd own one.

Phil says he's owned over 60 cars and has been interested in them since shortly after birth. In Modesto, he lived only a few blocks from Gene Winfield's shop. He participated in "dragging tenth" in the '50s and graduated from Modesto High School in 1957. He worked at Burge's Drive-In sweeping the parking lot during the morning shift and attended drags at Kingdon Dragstrip and the local airport. Also, the sports car races at Laguna Seca in Monterey drew him in as did the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

[​IMG]

He has owned everything from Ford and Chevy hot rods to Citroëns, Audis, Cadillacs, and VW Things. Even with this "golden era" Central Valley upbringing, Phil has stayed in touch with his roots and is now Chief Curator of Art at the Oakland Museum of California.

From the cowl back, the '40-41 Graham Hollywood body is a carryover from the '36-37 Cord 810/812, designed by Gordon Buehrig. The hood and front fenders were designed by John Tjaarda. The Graham was originally equipped with a Continental flathead six-cylinder engine, with some having superchargers. The body is of a "monocoque" design in that it has an integrated subframe front and rear rather than an individual frame. Buehrig originally designed the car as a two-door, with the rear doors later being designed in and cut to a template to accommodate the rear fender.

[​IMG]

When Phil put out the word that he was looking for a Graham, Jim Stroupe called one day saying that his neighbor had a '41 Hollywood for sale. Glen Stuhlmacher, a lifelong mechanic, had started a restoration/modification of the car installing a 302 V-8, automatic trans, and an IFS from a '77 Mustang. The car was a roller thanks to a narrowed 9-inch rearend, and the engine started, but it needed assembly, bodywork, paint, and interior. Phil ended up buying a "parts" car for the grille and other miscellaneous missing pieces, which he later sold, breaking even in the overall process.

[​IMG]

Phil ended up contacting Bill Ganahl, who agreed to take on the job of finishing the car. He was establishing his own shop while also working at Roy Brizio's place in South San Francisco. Phil mentioned that Ganahl was great to work with and handled everything by the book. Phil was anticipating a good daily driver and he attributes Ganahl's knowledge, judgment, and skills to be exactly what he needed to get the car where and how he wanted it. The biggest problem, according to Phil, was getting the ride height right, or the most practical, for everyday driving. It was originally too low, causing a leading fender edge to get scraped when pulling into his driveway. He took the car back to Ganahl and had it raised 2 1/2 inches, and while still low by stock standards, it was much more driveable. The wheels are painted steelies from Wheel Vintiques, which Herb Martinez applied the accent pinstripe on, with Firestone staggered-size (205/70 and 205/75) 15-inch radial tires.

[​IMG]

The basic body remains stock, with the only modifications being bear claw latches for the doors and a custom fabricated trunk latch that Ganahl put together. Joe Compari at Brizio's Street Rods applied the '40-41 Ford Cloud Mist Gray paint and Buena Park Plating redid some of the bright stuff. The dash insert is a polished and bead-blasted piece of stainless and the gauges are all stock, albeit recalibrated and rebuilt. The upholstery is as tasteful as the outside paint scheme and works well overall. The tan with green piping vinyl tuck 'n' roll upholstery and the German square-weave tan carpeting were installed by Jack Buchanan in Healdsburg, California. Needless to say, this car is a fine example of tasteful design and Phil's color choice only accentuates that good taste.

Rod & Custom Feature Car
    Philip Linhares
    Bay Area, California
    1941 Graham Hollywood

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Terrific Thread........... Love it !!!!!

Ray

8. alsancle

alsancle

This is my newly found favorite car in this entire thread.

9. alsancle

alsancle

Dealer with one of the convertibles.

Attached Files:

10. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

A few more pictures of the Graham Hollywood Bustleback that AJ posted earlier in the thread.

Attached Files:

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I like that one too. It's just done right.

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Neat picture

14. alsancle

alsancle

I always get a chuckle when they say "the only one".

15. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

You toss an underhand whiffle ball like that, It`s my duty as a guy to swing for the fence.:D

16. alsancle

alsancle

Some more pictures of the Graham Hollywood Phaeton. Before and after.

Attached Files:

17. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

This one is out of Illinois and owned by Hamber Slate;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83243

I found this board after searching for more information on Ford flatheads and LaSalle transmissions... since the 1936 Cord 810 my parents bought in the late 60's (when thery were in their 20's) is powered by a '48 Ford Flathead and a '39 LaSalle side shift transmission (at least that's what the old man tells me). They drove it until finding more reliable transportation, but thank God, they kept it! One time, they drove from Chicago to Quincy Il (5.5 hrs away modern travel time) with no working temp/gas gauges and a pet duck and goose in the car! When they stopped for gas (and had to open the trunk to do so), and the duck and goose kept wanting to get out for a stroll!

Here's a pic of my Dad in the late 60's with the car in primer, ready for the burgundy paint.

Second pic is of the engine now. Sharp heads, 2x2 head (can anyone tell the mfg from the crappy pic?), 2 97's, guy told my dad it had chrome rings in it, cam?

Anyone tell me what the front bumper is from (it's not a Cord bumper)?

Attached Files:

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

How about a Cord Shop Truck, courtesy of Daniel Strohl and Hemmings Classic Car.

Attached Files:

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

This one was on www.significantcars.com website a few years back. It was eventually removed as he thought it was too high priced and no longer wanted to represent it. This car was supposedly out of Tennessee some where. I have no idea what ever happened to it or where it is now.

1937 Cord 812 Phaeton RWD PROJECT CAR

This car met the fate of many Cords during the 50's, that being the "troublesome" Front Wheel Drive unit was scrapped in favor of a more "modern" drive train and the car was converted to rear wheel drive.

Luckily most of the rest of the car is complete and correct. The car has been kept inside for over 40 years so the body is pretty good overall.

The body Serial# is 32186H, The original motor # was FC 2959, which has been lost to time. The motor was replaced with an early 50's Olds & Automatic Transmission. Unfortunately the block is cracked, but those triple carbs are somewhat intriging.

The headlight switch quadrant was removed from the center dash panel but it is in the car. This would make a great (perish the thought) Hotrod since it is basically intact and has already been converted to RWD so slap a small block Chevy in there and you are good to go. On the other hand if you can find an appropriate motor to insert between those interesting carbs and the transmission, you would have a more period correct HotRod, which would much more interesting, IMHO. Since the car is already "a bastard" no one can really give you too much guff over the deal, after all, you weren't the one that scrapped the drive train.

Of course if you are really ambitious, want to be able to sleep well at night, and get nominated for the preservationist hall of fame, you could convert the car back to FWD. I do know of the location of the parts you would need to do this...plan on spending at least another 5-10 grand to get a correct Cord FWD unit with Motor (a core). This has been done on more than one occasion, it really isn't that daunting. Heck sign up for an episode of Monster Garage and get some press out of the deal while you are at it!

Asking $48,000

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. boldventure

boldventure

Dang! Is that still around?

21. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Unfortunately, not as far as we know. We believe it was built from a Dodge Panel with some International parts. It sure would be cool to recreate it though.

22. boldventure

boldventure

In a recent collector car magazine I borrowed from and returned to the library there was an auction review on a Cord 812 (I think) that sold at auction '09 or '10 for $259,000. According to the author a year before the review it had sold for $159,000. The authors point was this may not be the NEW value for all 812's but the result of a "bidding war" that the bigger dog won. Never the less even the old value of $159K is outa my league...but still one of my favorites:rolleyes:

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I would agree with the author. In my honest opinion, the true value of a car or anything else is what ever the buyer is willing to pay for it and some times that happens to be what a friend calls "stupid money". Unfortunately, there are too many people that buy cars at these auctions just to take it to the next auction to see how much money they can make. And a lot of times, they lose. Sadly, it takes the opportunity to own these cars away from those who truly have the passion for them and love then for what they are. In the end, they are still just a car. And yes, I do understand the cost of building and restoration in today's world but I'm also old enough to remember when everything was not about money like it is today.

24. alsancle

alsancle

I would leave it alone as a period 50s hot rod.

25. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

There seems to be alot of Cords showing up on Craigs List lately. Her's another one. And the sellers usually don't know anything about them. This one is in Seattle.

For the skilled restoration expert. This is one of 1,170 of these cars produced in 1936. Google it and read the story of the "cord". This is the body only, but good to use for a hot rod. This car was famous for the distinctive "coffin nose" Hard to find anything like this outside of a museum. Come take a look at this and see if you have the skills to bring her back or use her for your custom hot rod. 425-531-0612 Please call Sat. between 9am to 6pm to set up appt. to see. Cash only. Sold on bill of sale

Attached Files:

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

No Craigslist...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.