Register now to get rid of these ads!

possible o.t. questions disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Jul 20, 2013.

1. hey all I just bought a disc brake set-up for my gf's 50 Pontiac it already has a pre 70 nova front sub frame

heres the questions the set up I bought is off a 77 nova the set up in the car is rear steer the 77's are front steer can I just swap the spindles side for side and be good to go ?...... please tell me I can

2nd question the dust shields look like crap can you still get new ones or has someone made reproductions? or will one of the aftermarket set-ups dust shield work on stock spindle?

and has anyone used one of the adjustable proportioning valves? how hard are they to set? the 77 nova didn't have its stock prop valve so I figured I just get one of the adjustable ones

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

1. No. 77 nova has parts similar to a 2nd gen camaro, tall spindle with a cast in steering arm. 68-72 nova had a suspension similar to a 67-69 camaro, short spindle with bolt on steering arm. Measure spindle heights to confirm but either way I dont see how you can since one system is rear steer and the other is front steer. On chevelles we could do the swap from front to rear steer because the steering arms come off and could be swapped out but no way to do that with the cast in arms.

2. No idea but camaro stuff is everywhere. Someone will have some used.

3. I use factory non adjustable units but have an adjustable one for my T bucket. Plan is to adjust until the rears lock up and full pedal and back it off a bit.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  3. gee thanks , that's not what I wanted to hear

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

You can't swap spindles the ackerman steering angles will be all wrong. There are plenty of conversion kits available if you still have the drum spindles.