Register now to get rid of these ads!

Posie's rear springs for 49-54 Chevy, any issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyno Dave, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

I installed Posies's #203 3" dropped rear springs and 1.5" lowering blocks in my '54 Bel Air in 1999, have driven 30,000+ miles since then. No hard miles, original 235 six no horsepower...The car would seldom bottom out with a full tank of gas and heavy toolbox in trunk, over the last 2-3 years the car began to bang more often even with trunk empty. Recently have the car up on a hoist and a buddy noticed that the front portion of the springs have 1-1.5" upward arch accounting the bottoming. I realize that spring archs do fade away, but the originals were fine for 45 years, seems like these died a little early...Asking if others have had any similar problems ? thank you, Dyno Dave

2. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Really, no ones had any problems with Posie's products...Just wanting to find out if any one else has had similar spring issues and what they think caused the spring failure. thank you Dyno Dave

3. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

To the top for the night shift...thanks, Dyno Dave

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have had mine for 8 or 9 years, maybe 5-10,000 miles and they are also arching up in front. Still ride fine, though.

5. Wouldn't there be more load on the spring with a 3" lowered geometry, especially with added height of lowering block? Therefore accelerated wear?
    Scenario also brings spring metallurgy into question.

I'm going 2" on my springs. I don't like anterior/ posterior load force of blocks though. I'd rather not use them- rather keep the front 'too high', and be able to haul a little ass.

6. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Atomickustom & Spoggle, thank you for your replies on the Posie's springs reverse arch issue. While I too, suspect the loss of spring temper, my main concern is the possiability of spring breakage...The car has 3" Jamco springs & Buffalo's dropped spindles for a 5.0/5.5" front setting and 3" Posie's & blocks in the rear, I'm running 205/15" front & 235/15" rear, the 235's raisied the rear 1.5" so no sign of the lowering, until I installed the 1.5" blocks which a netted a good modate raked stance...now it sits almost level, at the first opportunity I'll pull the blocks and hopefully get back to proper stance. Again thanks for your help, Dyno Dave

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How are those springs doing? I'm between them and Jamco for my rear springs. Posies is within driving distance but if they're gonna crap out on me I'll go with Jamco and pay the shipping