Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Portland Auto Swap Meet 2024

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8R, Feb 5, 2024.

1. AV8R

AV8R

I did a search on here, but couldn't find a thread that has been started. Whos going to the 2024 Portland Auto Swap Meet this year? :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I should have a space and be selling in D hall this year. Still got a bit of time to go through the shop and pull parts to sell, but your also a little early for Portland Swap Meet, got almost 2 months to go.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'll be there in our normal spaces in Hall A. I'll be going through stuff to figure out what to bring until then.

4. AV8R

AV8R

haha... probably, but I have a long way to drive :) haha

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be at the racetrack this year. Hopefully on tarmac.

41 GMC K-18 and Spooky like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I always attend, but I've decided I wont go to expo this year. Doing the PIR racetrack opening day, and that's all. Hope Expo is better this year, but I'll wait to hear a report before I go there again.

fordman1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. Spooky

Spooky

I'll do my solo walkabout on Saturday.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. PackardV8

PackardV8

You guys should pay me not to attend. Every time I go it rains all the time. When I don't, that's the good weather.

jack vines

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind the rain as much as the micro bursts a few years back. Ah, springtime in the PNW.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. It wouldn't be the Portland Swap Meet without the rain, lol. That was part of the joy as a kid going with my grandpa. Each of us in rain gear, a thermos of coffee to share and some pop tarts in our pockets to spend the day walking the place. Now we still take the coffee, but there is a reason we get a booth indoors.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There were lessons to be learned...........cardboard boxes are not a good idea at the
    Portland Swap Meet.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Haven’t decided if we’ll venture down this year. Been primarily only doing PIR.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. I intend to attend.

AV8R and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Depends if I am healed up enough from surgery to take a road trip to ward off some cabin fever. I'll still have to replace an alternator and fix a coolant leak on the daily before it can go anywhere though.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have been every year for the last 15. I like it, rain or shine. Usually do he track, and a quick look around at the expo.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to attending again this year, the race track is always interesting, you never know what you will find there.
    IMG_8136.jpg
    Me and my friend Rick Turner, will be at the race track at vendor spot #6090 with this big trailer, so stop by and say howdy.

IMG_8145 (2).jpg

Thought I would add this artwork I created, to warn new people, that have never been to the Portland swap-meet !

IMG_8151 (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And when the sun finally comes out don't be looking up in awe with your mouth open!

Hotrodmyk and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I recall some years when the winds picked up, and a lot of those pop up canopies were sailing away too! Toss in some rain at the same time and things get really dicey. But when the weather is bad the crowds inside the buildings at Expo get really big! Sun comes out and they're all back outside!

fordman1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. Smokeshow

Smokeshow

I will be there Friday and Saturday. Friday is the track and Saturday is the convention center. I know some people like to hate on it or say it's not what it used to be but if you look , you can still find stuff. The weather can be all over the place but welcome to spring time in the PNW. Go prepared and it wont be a problem :). I look forward to it every year and dont recall ever coming away ever being dissapointed. If nothing else it's a great way to get out and see some people after being cooped up over the winter.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am still waiting on booth assignment at PIR. Once I have it, I'll post it up and y'all stop by and introduce yoselfs. I'll have beers.

AV8R and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Helped with parking one year when it rained for about 2 weeks straight. They assigned me to a section across from the dog park and I was the last gate opening as you’re heading west from the entrance to PIR. The clowns at the openings prior to mine decided to not let folks in because it was too swampy. Here they came to me. Total disaster. As I was pushing cars and trucks around in the mud, more people piled in because no one was at the gate to suggest trying somewhere else and turn them around. I didn’t have a 2 way radio like everyone else and it may have been for the best that I didn’t. Probably would have gone off over the radio in a total George Carlin rant and created words that I didn’t even know existed and then dropped it in the mud.

41 GMC K-18 and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. karolko

karolko

Hey guys,
    I am planning on making the drive from Calgary Alberta to this event, but can someone set me straight: Are there two separate events? The Portland Swap Meet at the Expo Center AND a swap meet at the Portland International Raceway?

Sorry for the ignorance, i've only found info for the April 5-7th at the Expo Center.

Enlighten me please

Adrian

41 GMC K-18 and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. douglasb

douglasb

Yeah it's 2 separate events but there are busses that run to both and help carry parts to the parking lots. You have to pay at each one. So if you go to both events both days you'll be super tired and have paid 4 times plus parking.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like @douglasb said, 2 events adjacent to each other. The racetrack allows motorized and non-motorized conveniences, the Expo does not. The racetrack is outdoors. The Expo is half outside, half inside.

The racetrack, if you cover the pits and the chicane...5 miles give or take a blister. Not many places to sit on your arse.

As swap meets go, it has been one of the best and one of the largest. You will get your steps in.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have gone to stay in Portland many times on our long Westcoast road trips. It is a great place to stop for a day or two or even a long week of touring and activity. But, as we have experienced our San Juan Islands road trips as the main source of our Northwest vacations, it was one trip to remember during this onslaught of rain we have been having for a week or so of one after another.

One year, our longest road trip was to Victoria, Vancouver and Orcas Island for an extended stay/visit. We were in the island area and decided to head south for home, with stops along the way. we had seen a lot of the PNW and as we started south, we decided to stop in Portland as it was about a 5-6 hour drive.

Just in time for a well deserved overnight rest stop before heading farther South. As we got close to the area south about 50-75 miles we noticed that several road stops and the surrounding motels were quite packed. We could not see any big time events in the long straight away highway 5 in this region. So, it was puzzling.

As we got closer to Portland, we stopped for gas and asked about the open rooms for the night. They were all full and even a block or two farther away from the freeway, we were surprised that those were full, too. Finally, the one motel operator said it was due to the Portland Raceway and their swap meet. What? That is 45-50 miles away.

Jnaki

We were getting tired and could not stop for a snack or early dinner with the rest stops being full. So, we plodded south. When we got near Portland, we called ahead to several places we had stayed previously. They, too, were packed. We did not want to go out east on the Columbia River as the owners said those places are still available, as far as they knew.

But, we continued through the city and saw the huge raceway being packed and streets overflowing with tons of people.

So, we kept going south to the next available rest stop clear of downtown Portland. It was about another 50 miles that we had to pull over for gas and snacks. The surrounding places were packed, too. We were now desperate and our little sedan was looking good for a rest stop overnight in any camping site along this I-5 corridor. We have slept in the reclining seats many times, so it is not a bad thing.

Over our heads, it was cloudy and behind us up north was “dark.” Meaning rain. So, that dark cloud was following us down I-5 until we out ran it near Eugene, but only for a nice dinner break and rest. Then, luckily it dissipated by the time we were in southern Oregon, about 600 miles South.

We got some energy and decided to head further South. My wife always wanted to see Ashland, Oregon and the theater events there. Yes, we called ahead and got a reservation, finally!!! YRMV

Note:

Nothing gets between those annual swap meet sellers and fanatic shoppers for this big time event…

Ron Funkhouser and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. karolko

karolko

Jnaki, thanks for the heads-up. Duly noted.

I have zero interest in person selling trinkets like dinky cars, neon signs, or their grandmother's doilies, and every swap meet has a certain amount of this: where would you steer a guy on the first day if he wanted to focus on hot rod/cool parts and not random collectible crap.

Thanks

jnaki likes this.
  27. uncle buck

uncle buck

The racetrack usually opens up on Thursday morning so that's where I always start. The Expo center usually opens Friday morning so that's day 2. When I really want to punish myself I will stay over for Saturday and try and do a fast walk and look through both locations. As @jnaki said, rooms can be tough so best to book one right away.

41 GMC K-18 and jnaki like this.
  28. Well for rooms, you will have a better chance looking in the surrounding areas, than right near the track and expo center. Vancouver, WA would be a good idea, plus its usually pretty easy crossing the Columbia on I5 when heading south vs going north. That or I would honestly look towards Beaverton, Oregon. Its on the west side of Portland and not long of a drive to get out there. Im in that area and its a 20ish minute drive that early in the morning on 26 heading into Portland. You could look more eastside of Portland, I would just avoid anything downtown.

29. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I agree. I wouldn’t stay anywhere within a 10 mile radius of Portland due to the tweaker factor. Westside is safer than the east side if you value your goods.

30. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Went through the San Juan’s on a family road trip. Absolutely loved it and need to get back there. Thanks for the memory jog.

jnaki likes this.