Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Porting Ford 223 Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke_62, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Duke_62

Duke_62

Hello, this is going to be the first time Porting a cylinder head. The head has these metal rings that couple both inlet ports from the head to the manifold. I was wondering if I should ditch them and enlarge the ports or just leave them in and leave the ports alone. I have two 223 motors. The one I’m building was born .060 over and it has these rings while the other motor doesn’t.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heres some pictures regarding the coupling rings.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i dont know anything about that motor, but generally those rings are a good thing to help avoid intake leaks, and manifolds sometimes sag and warp over time. the rings keep it all straight. i would think you can find some better use of time than trying to port a 223!

Duke_62 likes this.
  3. Duke_62

Duke_62

Thanks for the info, and I think building up the 230 would be a great start for me until I’m done with college and have a budget I could actually spend.

4. They locate the intake on the without them it is very difficult to line up the intake ports.

BlueFlame Chevy 6 use them as well, I had a full port and polish on my 261 head the alignment ring relief were left alone.

I don't have any good photos of the ports.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Why not try to come up with a 262 the big truck version of the 223?

Duke_62 likes this.

5. Duke_62

Duke_62

Thanks for the pictures, I think I’ll leave the rings on and port out anything that is in the way. It’s hard to find a 262 around here, and if I get the chance in the future to do an engine conversion I’ll probably be looking for a 351.

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

3 angle valve job and clean up any roughness in the ports. Don't go too smooth on the intakes you want a little texture to vaporize fuel.

Duke_62 likes this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

As per Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins book: The farther away from the valve seat you get the less effect your porting efforts will have.

Concentrate on the valve seat and valve bowl area and just blend the port by the rings enough to eliminate any interference obstructions.

Duke_62 likes this.
  8. Duke_62

Duke_62

I’ll keep that in mind, Thank you.

9. Duke_62

Duke_62

I cleaned up the undercut on the valve seats, it’s really difficult to do it perfectly because of the angle the valves have. I separated the adhesive on two of my carbides from catching around and on the base of the valve guide, but luckily the seats were not touched. Thank you for the pointers.