Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods POR 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plain Ed, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Plain Ed

Plain Ed

Any experience with POR 15. I have rust in many all but unreachable places on the inside of my 47 Ford 1T Van. Suggestions/advice/recommendations.

Plain Ed

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Both my father and I have used it and the stuff works great. Just clean the surface and then brush it on.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Plain Ed

Plain Ed

Never mind. Found all sorts of posts on POR 15.

4. Plain Ed

Plain Ed

Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not UV stable, as it is a primer. It should be top-coated. Follow the instructions to fog on a the first top coat when it is tacky. I hit it with epoxy primer then, and then go back with more epoxy primer after it is all set up, and then top coat, regardless if it is seen, or not.

I have some applications that are about to hit the 20-year mark, without failure.

If you don't follow the instructions exactly as written you might have a failure in a few months.

6. Slopok

Slopok

DO NOT get it on your skin!:eek:

brEad likes this.
  7. flatford39

flatford39

I love the stuff but you need to follow the directions to a tee and where gloves. It won't come off your skin.

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Oh. it comes off after a couple of weeks when you shed the top layer of skin. lol
    Great stuff, I like it a lot as I am a terrible metal and it has saved many a projects for me...

brEad and pat59 like this.
  9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I also learned to place a plastic baggie or a couple layers of saran wrap or other plastic wrap across the opening on the can, and then place the lid over the baggie then tap lid down to secure lid, otherwise that lid aint gonna want to come off ever again....

BigDogSS, hotrodharry2 and belair like this.
  10. 74kingwood

74kingwood

That's for sure. Any paint in rim lid will have to be cut off..

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can thin it with the POR-15 solvent and spray it on as well for a uniform finish that is ready for a protective topcoat if you prefer. I would suggest using a friends paint gun though as any residue left in the gun will quite effectively render it unusable.

12. belair

belair

And do not breathe it. The particles will set up in your lungs, and if you think it's hard to get off your hands, .... . Anyway, it can cause serious or even deadly results.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Tried it, don't like it. VERY expensive and messy. I'll stick with Rustoleum.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the underside of my '51 Ford with POR-15 in 1988 and it still looks good.

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Try this stuff: Cavity-Coater-3505y35.jpg

16. I bought a quart 2 years ago, the lid was tough to get off and it wasn't going back on. I poured the remains into an old spaghetti sauce jar. I opened it up a few weeks ago, it was still good.