Register now to get rid of these ads!

POR 15 Chipping Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteadyT, Mar 13, 2009.

1. SteadyT

SteadyT

Hey all,

POR 15 is pretty durable stuff and I know guys that have used it on underside of their street cars. I am going to paint a couple of dana axles for an old 4x4 that will see some abuse and I was wondering if anyone has had it chip away from small rocks, etc.

Clearly any paint will scrape off if it drags on something, but not sure if this stuff chips. The guys at the auto parts store don't think it will, but I am looking for real-world experience here.

Thanks,
    Tyson

2. Goodsonbg

Goodsonbg

I've used it on a few cars and the only times I've seen it flake off is due to improper surface preparation and sun exposure. I left some loose rust on a bumper I painted and it flew off after a couple of months. I think if all the grease is removed and all of the loose rust flakes are off, the paint should hold up well. It isn't powdercoating as I am sure that you know but given the proper surface preparation, I don't see why it shouldn't hold up. I understand the real-world experience. The guys at the auto parts store learn by reading the brochures that come with the paint. A bit biased if you ask me. Take care

3. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I`ve seen the sruff hit with a hammer, and not a chip...

4. chopperbilly

chopperbilly

Agree with above, prep is key! i used it on interior floor pan and later had to do a patch. Took a lot more to grind than typical paint. i believe it would do you good on the axles.

5. capdavid

capdavid
    BANNED

Just did a '29 frame in the chassis black POR 15. Worked really well with an epoxy primer. Did have a few areas that flaked away due to finger prints and some oily areas but that was my fault. Good stuff.

6. Doesn't stick to clean metal, Get oil and grease romoved and all flakey rust. Should do well then.

7. Por 15 great stuff,used it on the last frame... next frame for the price difference... I am going back to "good old " rustoleum......

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Sticks just fine to clean metal if you sand the metal to give it a bunch of tooth.

Rock chips? Anything that makes one year of curing ain't ever coming off unless the metal underneath comes apart.

good luck

9. Fogger

Fogger

I sand blasted the front axle on my '32 Roadster, used Por's etching primer and brushed on their glossy black. When I got the car together and took it to the alignment shop we had to adjust the camber, both sides were about 2 degrees positive. The shop chained down the center of the axle and jacked both sides up with bottle jacks to make the adjustment. The Por-15 didn't chip off where the chain wrapped around the axle. I've got thousands of miles on the car now and not even rocks chip the paint. Also followed their instructions and painted the Columbia rearend and wishbones, they too show no signs of chips or separation. Por-15 is great stuff and has been stated before wear long sleeves and gloves as it also sticks very well to skin. The FOGGER

10. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Agree with all of the above, I remeber watching them dip a paper towel in it at Hershey and patch a floor pan and dare you to hit it with a hammer.

Jon