Register now to get rid of these ads!

Popping Out the Exhaust?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Janius, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

Please no bad jokes about this... on the overrun between manual upshifts I get "pop, pop" out of the tail pipe. Similar but worse when going down a steep hill and completely let up on the gas. My old, dim, forgetful memory says that this is an ignition timing problem. I'm running an old fashioned points type distributor and do have vacuum advance connected.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

2. alleyoop392

alleyoop392

Leak in the exhaust manifold gasket. Sucking air and ingniting left over gas in the exaust.

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey janius...welcome. if u intraduce yourself with a little info. and few pics of ur ride.well u know to bribe a little help- u will get attention HA! YEA IT COULD BE TIMMING OR BAD TIMMING GEAR OR CHAIN. UR NEW FRIEND IN TEXASyeeehaaaa! JUST CALL ME POP.

4. Janius

Janius
    from New Jersey

New Jersey that is. I am an old, old time car guy (also an old, old guy) who has played around with everything under the sun for decades. I love old flatheads (especially the Ford V8-60) and anything that has moving pistons. My current project is an old car, not a hot rod (but I may change my mind about that). I try to get to one or two cruise nights a week. Some things do bug the heck out of me.... things like someone building a hot rod on a 4 door sedan! When I was in high school we would rather walk to school then be seen in something as un-cool as 4 door sedan (the only thing worse would be a non-woody wagon!).

5. barnescole

barnescole

Hey from PA, i'll bet that you have a timing issue. Mine did the same, was running a bit rich too. what motor?

6. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

welcome to the hamb