Register now to get rid of these ads!

pontiac timing ????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by long island vic, Sep 21, 2008.

1. long island vic

long island vic

its a 69 455 wt ram air one stuff,,,automatic....lost my data sheet

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Most Pontiac engines like total timing (rev engine past 3000 or so until the mechanical advance stops moving/advancing, vacuum advance disconnected to check total timing) somewhere between 32 and 36 degrees.

Setting initial timing at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected will usually fall around 12 to 16 degrees, but that's not really important. What is important is the total timing, the initial timing + the mechanical/centrifugal advance that's built into the distributor (springs and weights).

So look for about 36 total, then back off a little (2 degrees at a time) if the engine rattles (pre-ignition) in high gear when you nail the throttle at a moderate speed, say 30-35 MPH.

Sometimes a little more for lower compression engine at higher altitudes, I run 38 degrees total in my '74 455 with 8.6:1 compression. Runs 12-flat 1/4 mile times at 110 MPH on 91 octane, Pontiac torque does the job.

Congrats on owning the only known '69 455, us Pontiac guys all think that '70 was the very first year for the 455.;)

Just funnin' with ya, good luck.:cool:

3. Goldy

Goldy

Draggin GTO - It's nice to see that somebody knows wtf they are talkin bout'

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

One thing to be aware of, for several editions of the Motor manuals they had the arrow pointing the wrong way on the distributor rotation picture for Pontiacs. Can't begin to tell you the headaches that caused mechanics back in the 70's.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  5. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Good point.

When I was arranging the plug wires on my first Poncho engine, I mistakenly put them in a clockwise firing order. WRONG!

Our Pontiacs have a counter-clockwise distributor rotation.:eek:;)

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I checked the firing order so many times the weekend that I first started my 421SD that I still have it memorized 40 years later. It was always up on #1 compression stroke when I checked it.:D