Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pontiac Sombreo-to-stock chev wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrcooperPhotography, Nov 7, 2016.

1. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Hey guys.
    I've spoken to a few people about this, and all have said near impossible, or a massive pain in the ass,

I thought i'd put the question out there and see if anyone has succesfully done it.
    Has anyone fitted Pontiac Sombreo caps to Stock earl 50's chev wheels?

Cheers guys!

Snowman454007 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive got a fairly well mangled Poncho cap hanging on my garage wall from an unsuccessful attempt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CrcooperPhotography likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some '49 - '54 era Chevs & Pontiacs share the same frt. wheel bearings. Try a Pontiac drum on your Chev. If it fits, then use the covers (assuming you mean the '49 - '50 full covers) w/ '49- '56 Pontiac or '50 - '56 Olds wheels ....

5. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

Thats not a good thing. Damn it. They're such a killer cap...

6. CrcooperPhotography

CrcooperPhotography
    from Australia

I did think either changing drums/wheels. just another added expense!

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HPIM0730.JPG HPIM0729.JPG How about using the holders for the fake wire wheels that bolt on to the lug nuts, then use a bullet to hold them to the wheel?

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is a good question. I have a 41 Pontiac with a 74 Nova front subframe. Would really like to run Pontiac Sombreros on it.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Consider redrilling the bolt pattern on your hubs/drums to 5 on 5" bolt circle and use Pontiac wheels.

A friend of mine with a Buick wanted to use the Pontiac wheel covers shown in this thread. Buicks use a similar mounting clip arrangement, but the depth of the wheel is different than Pontiac. I fabricated some adapter rings for the wheelcovers that extended their depth and held the wheelcovers in place.

Unfortunately, the Chevy wheels are nowhere close to the configuration required. The method pictured in Post #7 above is the most cost effective and relatively easy alternative if one can get the dimensions worked out.

Ray

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Sounds like this is the best and easiest way to go. My 41 already needs to have the bolt patterns on the front hubs and rear axel matched up. The rear axel has a 5 x 4 1/2 pattern, (1964 Ford 9" axel). If the rear axel gets swapped out for a 57 Pontiac, (which I already have), that will take care of the rear bolt pattern.

Will need to get some Pontiac wheels, though. Will Sombreros fit any Pontiac wheels with clips?

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

're what wheels.........I 'think' '49 through '56 will work if fitted with clips. even the small caps used the clips, so that shouldn't be a problem. They are all 15"....'57 thru about '62 are 14".

Ray

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks for the info. This weekend I'm planning to go a yard that's being closed out, that may have some.