Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac Intake manifold for a/c application

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ciscokid, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid

My friend has a 70 lemans sport convertible, and is doing an engine swap from a 350 to a 455. He wants to use an aftermarket aluminum intake. Is any one running an intake that accepts the a/c brackets (non EGR)? If so A brand, and part # would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

No help on the AC front but does he know that there is no aluminum aftermarket intake that will outflow an iron OEM Pontiac 4-barrel?

HPP did a dyno test a while back and it's pretty hard to beat the factory iron ram air and W-72 4-barrel intakes.

The Edelbrock Performer is just a copy of the OEM unit.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thanks for that. I will pass that information on to him.

4. [​IMG]

I'll disagree on that one big time. If that was the case, all the quick Pontiacs would be running iron intakes and they are not. the stock intake is a good piece for the street.

As for a/c bracket provisions, egr or non egr does not matter, they are the same. Also, the only thing the intake has to do with a/c is one upper bracket and you do not really need to use it anyway. i don't use it on mine.
    However, all the intakes i have seen have the provision for the a/c bracket anyway.

Hope this helps you.

5. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thanks for the help. I knew I came to the right place.

6. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

You could be right, I can't see a magazine posting unfavourable results for an advertisers product unless it were true though.

Competition cars are probably running aluminum intakes because they weigh a hell of a lot less and aluminum is much easier to port.

I'd be willing to bet that they're about equal in stock form but once modified, the aftermarket intake will probably outflow the stocker.

Shawn

7. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

back in the land of 1976 i installed an Offenhauser aluminum 4bbl intake on my 72 pontiac 350. so i know that offy was making poncho intakes. as per the post above, i did have to leave off one ac bracket. even if the flow is not greater with an aluminum intake, the weight savings are worth the swap.

on edit: i just googled "pontiac offenhauser intake" and found this as well as other links: http://compare.ebay.com/like/200585...fcd795c&itemid=200585939583&ff4=263602_309572

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Seriously??? That NO aftermarket intake will outflow and iron OEM Pontiac 4 barrel intake???

I think you need to do a bit of research before saying such a blanket statement. While I agree that the factory 67-up 4 barrel intake is a good flowing intake, and yes as well or better than some dual plane intakes, there are several single plane intakes that will WAY outflow a stock intake!

9. From one Pontiac Steve to another....
    DITTO!!!
    I run a Street Dominator with stock non ported heads and a basic cheap 400 cid engine rebuild and do 12.5s in the 1/4 with a 3810 lb weight all on pump gas and a very tame cam. Depending on how you drive, I noticed a great difference between the stock and after market intake. You are talking about the write up that was done at least 10 years ago with Jim Hands Station wagon. Its really hard to compare apples to apples as there were spacers used in some of the tests and it was also just one engine combo in his Station wagon. His data may be correct for his aplication but it isn't for others. So my advice is don't think that because its written for one persons combo that it isn't written in stone.

Cliff Ruggles runs a Stock Manifold doing 11s but he has spent countless hours and made huge mods on it. More time and effort than most people are willing to put in just to say that they run a stock intake which it has veer'd way off from stock.

10. About 15 years ago, I replaced a stock 72 cast iron intake with an Edelbrock Performer ,on a mild 455 in a consistent bracket car...at the track, same day,within about a half hour's time> Result no ET gain, no ET loss (or MPH)
    I just left it on because it was lighter and would stay cooler.

Now , a Performer RPM..That's a whole different subject. It's completely different from the Performer.The carb sits about an inch higher to start out.
    I never backed to back one, but I'd guess they're worth 1-2 tenths.

11. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Ok, I think I should approach this from a different direction.

To everyone else: Ok, I'm wrong, whatever makes you happy.

To the original poster:

Think of it this way, if you buddy's 455 is a 2-barrel hearse/station-wagon/ambulance engine, then I doubt he would see any improvement using a $300 aftermarket intake over a $40.00 swap-meet iron 4-barrel.

If, on the other hand, he has a hotter 455 from a high-performance model or he plans on putting a cam, headers and bigger valves in his smogger motor. Then fill your boots, buy whatever aftermarket unit makes you happy.

What you don't want to do is exactly what so many people do constantly. Over carb or over cam a motor.

There's no point in feeding tiny-valved smog 2-barrel cylinder heads with a sewer-pipe sized intake and a huge carb. You'll just be disappointed when the car falls flat on it's face after you put the boots to it.

I hope he's using a quadrajet on there.

Good luck.

Shawn