Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac HEMI thread Mickey Thompson, Jack Gifford, Steve Barcak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

This is great info and history, Thanks Steve. Slim

Deuces likes this.
  2. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Kind of makes one wonder if Mickey Thompson might have tried this option, prior to pursuing the venture. In fact, I think I read of the similarities in the Pete McCarthy book IIRC.

It is crazy enough that I might look into it. I absolutely love everything about the Pontiac engine design and just so happen to have some parts laying around. Not Donovan 417 heads, but stock 392's.

Deuces likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

I've been making some progress on the HEMI. I've assembled the heads and rocker stands and now the engine is completely assembled, valves are set, etc. I spent a considerable amount of time on the head gaskets, the rocker stands, etc.
    [​IMG]
    Everything was double checked. I did not find any excessive wear or damage on the push rods, rockers, etc. Now all that is needed to fire up the motor is to -

1. set up the mag
    2. clean out and run the oil, water and part of the fuel lines
    3. some minor electrical to hook up
    4. mount the alt and water pump belts/pullies.

with a few other projects on higher priority, it'll be a few more weeks before i work on this but, I hope to fire it up later this month or in March.
    It'll get some run time and then I'll pull the rocker covers and maybe the stands to inspect the valve train again to make sure it is oiling properly.

It should be in running condition for the Pontiac Heaven/Nostalgic Show & Go! weekend here in Phoenix April 8-11

Steve
    Hosting-
    Thur-Sun April 8-10, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
    Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Deuces likes this.
  4. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Steve, PLEASE get video of the fire up on Youtube or somewhere online. That would be great to hear. Just curious if they have the "Early Hemi" sound or something completely different. Also, do you have pics of the internals - specifically the Pistons? I guess since they are blower pistons, they may be std flat tops with reliefs cut in the right spot?

Deuces likes this.
  5. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey Steve,

Great storys on M/T, Hemi's and Ponitacs

Keep them coming!

1940 Willys Coupe

Deuces likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

Here are some HEMI Pontiac piston pics. 3 generations of them in fact.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left is an original 1962 M/T HEMI forging. The one in the middle is an early 70s era Arias ( much more modern ) and the one on the right is 1 of a set I had made for my AA/Fuel Dragster by Ross a few years back. They will be used in my second HEMI Pontiac engine and will be much more powerful and on nitromethane. The valve spacing (not bore spacing) is the same as a 392. The Arias pistons are in this motor.
    [​IMG]
    Also, there are pictures of the motor going together on www.pontiacheaven.org . Look on the 'boats' page.

I also wonder what it'll sound like.
    In the late 80's and early 90's a man by the name of Jack Gifford built and ran a Pontiac engine with M/T HEMI heads. I have video with sound and more info on him coming in this thread. He was not only successful with this engine but was national champion with it Beating up aftermarket alum Chevies, etc. His application was a tractor puller. It reved over 8,000 for many seconds while dragging/pulling that sled. His Pontiac engine displaced about 380 inches. Neat stuff, more later on him.

Steve
    Hosting-

Thur-Sun April 8-11, 2010 12th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix www.pontiacheaven.org
    Sunday April 11, 2010 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! Phoenix www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Deuces likes this.
  7. There is a Pulling Tractor in Upstate NY that runs a Pontiac with a set of the M/T Hemi heads on it...owned by a Farmer...

Deuces likes this.
  8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Deuces likes this.
  9. [​IMG]

The person you are referencing is Jack Gifford who lives in Phelps, Ny not too far from Rochester. He is not a farmer and has retired the pulled since the mid 90s. I visited him for a few days on one of my big road trips in the fall of '07. Nice guy and a wealth of knowledge too.
    Jack currently has more actual running time experience with the M/T HEMI Pontiac than anyone else does. More on Jack later. He is on the net often but, I do not think he posts here.

Steve

Deuces likes this.
  10. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve, sorry to get slightly off track but do you have any more info or pics on the 427 ford M/T hemi Heads?

Muzz

Deuces likes this.
  11. Here are some files pics I have of the M/T 427 HEMI Ford. This is the intake side.
    [​IMG]

Here is the exhaust side

[​IMG]

Here is a top view
    [​IMG]

Here is the chamber side
    [​IMG]

Here is a side view.
    [​IMG]

The 8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! will have BOTH a M/T blown Pontiac HEMI and a M/T 427 Ford HEMI on display. It will probably be the only time you can see both engines at the same place.
    [​IMG]

Steve
    Hosting-
    8th annual Nostalgic show & Go! April 11 Phoenix
    Make plans to attend now www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

12. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Thread! Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge Steve.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Muzz

Muzz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve, great thread.

Muzz

Deuces likes this.
  14. Happy to announce that my first M/T HEMI Pontiac is now running! I fired her up for the first time tonight and then fired it a bit later and got some heat in it. Sounds great. It's blown/injected on gas and in a very low hour '72 Hondo Flatbottom. Hope to have it in the water in a week or two.
    Work will progress on my 2nd Pontiac HEMI later this year. Maybe have 2 running sometime next year. This has been a long pull to get this done. Seems like a million dollars and a million hours into it too.

It finally bears some fruit getting to hear it run!

Steve Barcak

Deuces likes this.
  15. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I read about these recently, only vaguely remembered them from back in the day, but it's coming back. Could you show the double jointed pushrods that were necessary to get the heads and the block to work together, and speak to their truly unique nature? This is such an interesting part of the whole Hemi "mystique." Thanks for starting this thread applekrate!

Deuces likes this.
  16. studhud

studhud

Thats bitche how about some video of that BAD MUTHA $%&&ER!!!!!
    Dave Hitch

Deuces likes this.
  17. The M/T HEMI Pontiac pushrod is not double jointed. They look like a standard adjustable pushrod. My understanding is only the M/T Ford HEMI used the weird pushrods.

Deuces likes this.
  18. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

"Okey Doakey," thanks!

Deuces likes this.
  19. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

Deuces likes this.
  20. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

why don't you put one in a car and take it down the track, instead of in a boat ?

Deuces likes this.
  21. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

Deuces likes this.
    Deuces likes this.
  23. Whew! What a great day Labor day was yesterday! Took the HEMI Pontiac out for several spins on the water and had a blast. Made a few outings with the zoomies and then 2 more after switching over to the collector marine headers. This thing really flies! Gaining some valuable seat time learning to drive it and also working on the tune.

[​IMG]

Hope everyone else had a fun labor day weekend.

Hosting-
    9th annual Nostalgic Show & GO! Speedworld Dragstrip in Phoenix
    April 3, 2011 www,nostalgicshowandgo.org

Deuces likes this.
  24. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey Steve,

Great shot of the boat!

If anyone looks close at your boat and has to ask why?

They just don't get the need for speed?

Thanks for all the infomation on a great subject.

1940 Willys Coupe

Deuces likes this.
  25. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

My neck would be some kinda swole up if that Hondo was mine. Looks great and has more character than anything else on the water. Hats off to you Steve!

Deuces likes this.
  26. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Hey Steve, can you get some video or a sound clip of that Beautiful Piece?

Deuces likes this.
  27. SOLO

SOLO

Steve you have some awesome, rare stuff! Need a youtube video of the hemi! Would like to see the fire up in April, but won't be able to make it down. Great info, and your website has some awesome Pontiac history info on there. Thanks

Deuces likes this.
  28. Had the M/T Pontiac HEMI out for a show yesterday and a friend took some requested video. This link should get it there. Was buzzing it just over 8 grand.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  29. one more..

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  30. lawman

lawman

Wow !!!! That is some great old info.Thanks guys.Tom(Tired Old Man)

Deuces likes this.