Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pontiac Dealerships

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Nov 23, 2011.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Any surviving Pontiac dealerships around the country that still feature chief Pontiac? When Nelson Pontiac in El Monte, California closed down several years ago and they took down the original Pontiac red-neon sign with the blinking blue "star'" chief emblems that was obviously there since the mid-1950's, I was so proud to drive by that dealership in my '55 Chieftain during the late 80's-early 90's, and owning a piece of history that had once been sold from such dealerships.. Between 1956 and 1959 the Chief Pontiac symbol was slowly phased out, 1955 being the last year of the hood ornament with his profile, 1957 removed the legendary hood streaks and only featured the chief's profile on the steering wheel center on models with power steering and maybe in the owner manuals, and I think 1958 was the last year of the model called "Chieftain", and the "star Chief" model wasn't too far behind.. maybe Bunkie Knudsen was to blame for the chief's demise by reinventing Pontiac's image toward a new look which aimed toward performance and the youth market, Pontiac after all did need to advance with the changing times, still I can't help but hope that these beautiful Pontiac dealership signs still do exist..

Attached Files:

2. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

I'd love to have one of those old signs. Can't imagine what one would be worth, especially if the neon is still in tact and functioning.

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Royal Pontiac in Royal Oak, MI had one a few years ago. I did see one in Shelby, MT too last spring.
    Normbc9

4. Pontiac phazed out the Chieftain but ran the Star Chief into the 60's

5. The high-beam indicator was in the shape of the indian head through at least '60. The only place it appeared on the car, but it was still there.

6. If I remember correctly my '62 Grand Prix had the Indian head hi-beam indicator.

7. F500

F500

I remember back in the 60's that Hedges Pontiac on East Washington St in Indianapolis had the Chief sign out front but by the time they were bought out by Tom Wood either in the late 60's or early 70's, the sign was gone.

the only GM cars I really liked were Pontiacs, especially the old "Wide Track Pontiacs"! :)

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

They used it through the 1960s, up until 1969 or 1970 I believe.

Damon777 likes this.
  9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I snagged this dealer plate off the trunk on a 56 Pontiac in a ditch being used for errosion control near me. Been in this area since the 50s, never heard of this dealer. Way cool anyway . . .

Attached Files:

10. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Beaman Pontiac on Broadway, Nashville, Tennessee. Unless it's come down in the last few months, it's still there.

48 Poncho

Attached Files:

11. RO EVANS PONTIAC-GMC COMPANY

12100 E NORTHWEST HWY
    DALLAS, TX 75218-1414

My Dad bought a new car there every year or two from 1965 till they closed in the early 90's I believe

12. my first car a 68 firebird didnt have the indian head high beam indicater

maybe it was only used on the bigger ponchos

13. Full size Pontiacs used the indian head indicator through the 1970 model year.

14th annual Pontiac Heaven Phoenix March 30-1

Damon777 likes this.
  14. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

I think the one in Nashville is still there. I love the old signs.

15. Didn't that used to be Mike Salta Pontiac? The old Pontiac dealership in Springdale, AR is now the Pontiac Cafe. They still have most of the old signs displayed and have a early 50's Pontiac in the lobby.

16. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

yeah i think you're right, I think I heard somewhere it did become Mike Salta Pontiac in its last years, but it was Nelson Pontiac originally .. the Springdale place sounds like a cool place to visit!

17. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

almost seems unfathomable that the indian head would still be evident through 1970, albeit even on the minor detail of the high beam indicator, that's just one more thing Pontiac did right! thanks for the info!

18. BBQ Hauler

BBQ Hauler

Unfortunately, the old dealership/cafe has been purchased by the hospital next door for expansion and will soon be tore down. All memorabilia has been removed.

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried to buy the signage being removed from a local Pontiac dealer last year. the sign company said it had to be destroyed. corporate crap

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  20. I last was out there in the mid 70's, and it was Mike Salta then...

BUMMER!

21. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Anyone hear the saying "Dollar For Dollar You Can't Beat A Pontiac" ?

22. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Where do the stars come from?

Whatever the case it's nice that one made it onto the Arrowhead logo

23. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Josephs Pontiac in Norwell,MA...still a full service gas station and sells a few cars off the lot, this sign lights up so awesome at night...ill find a picture of that soon.
    Rumor has it this sign is a replica and the original from the building is in the GM museum.
    [​IMG]

24. WQ59B

WQ59B

[ 13 years later... but 'for posterity'~ ]
    If folk are on Facebook, feel free to check out The Pontiac Dealer Database.
    Updated daily, hundreds of dealers with pics/addresses already up.

31 B'ville likes this.