Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac 6 X 2 intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Jan 3, 2004.

1. OK, I need some help here identifying a manafold. I bought it sight un-seen and got the shaft. Shame on me. I won't return the favor but do intend to sell it. I know it doesn't fit 66 421 Pontiac or 56 389 it is however definatly Pontiac. It's Edelbrock cross ram 6 2bbl. and the only casting id type numbers are X2. That didn't help at all at the local parts house. The carboraters are 4 bolt Bendix Stromberg and are a lot like slant 6 Dodge. It also appeares a standard G,M rodchester will work. I'll know more Monday. How many different post 1958 intakes are there for 400 ci style Pontiac motors? I havn't been secussful yet in getting pictures to post but have several on file I can direct E-Mail if you P.M. me with your E-Mail address.
    The Wizzard

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The Pontiac intakes changed before '65 when they decided on a final intake bolt pattern and front water crossover design. Most aftermarket Pontiac intakes are grouped '55 -'60, '61 -'64, and '65 and later.

----- Bart -----

3. Justin B

Justin B

according to a old hot rod mag pontiac hop up edition it will fit all model and year pontiac 389 starting in late 58 early 59 through the 64 model year. some of the aftermarket intakes for pontiacs are weird like that, the only difference in the two intake designs is water port locaction so they just make the intake to line up with both the early and late locations. hope this helps

Deuces likes this.
  4. This must be 61 to 64 then because it hit on the P.V.C port in the valley pan and also hit the Dist. once I pulled the dist and the vally pan 4 out of 5 bolt holes lined up. Then I discovered some welding on the ports and a hole moved in the very front on both sides.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Now you've got me thinking about half the intake on a slant 4 with the carbs through the hood of a modified. And I know where 3 of the little gems are.

6. I can see that on a track roadster. It would mean a little hacksaw work but nothing is impossible.
    The Wizzard

7. If the bolt holes don't line up with your 66 heads, It's gotta be 64 and down. There were only 2 different bolt patterns for poncho V/8s----55-64 and 65-79.
    Are you running a HEI distributor? If so, it may be the root of the clearance problem. If not, maybe your intake was cast to clear the small 55-56 cast iron distributor housing? But you said you already tried the intake on your 56 motor. Does your 56 motor have the small 55-56 distributor or the larger aluminum 57-74 distributor?
    The fact the bottom of the intake won't clear the PCV in the valley pan, and the intake bolt pattern being different than your 66 pattern makes me think you have an intake made for a pre 60 pontiac v/8...
    Pre 60's had no PVC to interfere.

Deuces likes this.
  8. I got a 2X4 Edelbrock W25 manifold that came off a 62-63 389 that had 2 AFB's(same as Edelbrock carbs)on it that doesn't fit my 55 287 cu.in.engine.Sounds like that one might.If you're interested in a trade send me a PM(my e-mail doesn't work).
    Ray aka safariknut

Deuces likes this.
  9. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Let me know if anyone has a Pontiac 6x2 or 4x2 intake they want to sell. Thank you!