Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac 389 in a '49 chevy coupe..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho, Jul 27, 2007.

1. poncho

poncho

is this going to work,,anyone here done this swap before,and or seen a 389 in any early 50's chevy cars??...??..is it a good idea,,i ask because i have a decent '64 Bonneville that i cant seem to give away,,the engine and tranny are in perfect working order,,,i may yank the engine and toss it in my '49,,,and part out the Bonnie...your thoughts...

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

FUCK YES !! DO IT !!

I seen in an old mag once they did a tech on that swap, i think they moved the steering box.....

I say GO FOR IT !! Much cooler than a small block Chebby

3. poncho

poncho

my thoughts exactly!!!

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd have to see pics of the Bonnie... they don't make 64 bonnievilles anymore. I part out cars.. but only those not worth repairing, and no part gets tossed out that someone else could use. I've never parted a running driving car. it would have to be pretty rusty or otherwise messed up for me to even consider it.

where did you try to sell it? oooh...your in Canada. that makes it a bit harder to sell than here in sunny California can't help you there

with that being said.. a 49 chevy with a pontiac in it would not be as easy to sell down the road as a 49 with the six or a SBC. I like Big ol Pontiacs, and love 49 chevies...as a matter of fact, I wanted to put my 400/4-speed from my GTO in my 49 back in 1978 when I crashed the GTO. no shop, no money and no experience curtailed that idea

the biggest obstacle in an early 50's chevrolet engine swap is the steering box and the goofy "center point steering". that 389 has got to be wider than a SBC. I'd think the exhaust would hit the steering box.. you can scoot the box over a bit, juggle the motor a bit and maybe get it in.

weight... what's a 389 weigh in comparison to a six?

how will it handle? will it be able to stop? disc brakes would be a good idea. different springs up front..

if you are going to do it, I say build a straight axle gasser like grouchos ford. altered wheelbase and everything. paint it flat green and park next to him at Paso. that would make a nice picture. prolly get in a magazine

5. 389 is about 650 lbs fully dressed, if anything lighter than the six. You might have pan clearance problems with the steering center link. Same issues as an SBC in there. Pontiac isn't much bigger overall. You will need ladder bars or new rear springs in the Chevy. Might be able to bolt the 389 to the stock trans but you'd break it faster than the time it took to put it together, so you need to go to an open rear. The stock rear springs won't handle the torque, you'd wheel hop all over.

1960 Pontiacs came with all drum brakes all around in a car 500 to 1000 lbs heavier than that Chevy and they stop just fine. And they also had a 303-HP 389 motor in the Bonneville.

Have to think if you tried a little the Bonne would sell, it's a bastard to find
    one of those with a good frame especially in the north, I have a pretty decent '64 GP here that you could restore - except the frame is broke right in two under the back seat on the left side. Maybe try an eBay US listing in the flat fee car categories, with lots of pictures and info, low open and a reasonable reserve; that usually does it.

6. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

I'm not so sure about the gasser line of thinking, but I think the swap is a great idea. Oooohhh the Chevy guys will FREAK OUT and scratch their heads! Maybe 49ratfink is right, resale might be more difficult, but so what! Its a great and unique motor with lots of torque. Plus you just don't see that swap very often in the late 40's - early 50's Chevys. I'll admit I'm biased since I'm putting a '65 389 out of a Grand Prix in my F100 project, but you're biased too with a name like Poncho, so live up to it and DO IT!!! :D

7. poncho

poncho

thanks guy,,the '49 is a car that i plan on owning for life,.[resale not apply].up here in B.C. folks are cheap asses and are scared to spend money,,the '64 Bonnie is complete car clean frame,wicked running 389,good interior,needs a paint job[surface..no holes] rust..8 lugs new tires,everything works,,,but i cant give it away..i only want $4000.if i still have it in september,i am going to sell the wheels[buyer already]..yank the engine/trans..part i out on egay or other means..its a shame..but i have no room for it as i have a '64 Galaxie on the way...my inline 6 in the '49 is leaking and needs a good clean up and have been wanting to put a V8 in there,,the car has a turbo 3503 speed auto already and Camaro rear end,,and im hopeing to bag the rear and link it too...

8. poncho

poncho

here is the cars i am talking about...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

WOW you're 49 is gorgeous... love the paint. And you're right, that Bonnie is in really good shape. A buddy of mine had a gold one with a white top in cherry condition for many years, loved that car. Good luck with the sale, I like the 389 swap idea...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

1960 Pontiacs came with all drum brakes all around in a car 500 to 1000 lbs heavier than that Chevy and they stop just fine.

really? say that out on a busy freeway when the 5 cars in a panic stop in front of you are all under 3000 pounds with antiloc disc brakes

upgraded brakes are always a good idea. had discs in my old V8 49, I never tailgate, but I would have crashed for sure when all these little cars in front of me slammed on the brakes at 65 MPH. I ended up about 3 feet from the last car in the bunch

I can't believe you are even remotely considering parting out that car for the motor. that's a nice looking car. you need to try a little harder to sell it and just be patient. might try ebay, but I'd look into what it takes to import a car to the US first. I just hate to see a good old car get destroyed for no good reason

you could definitly sell that car for way more than the cost of a rebuilt motor.

11. LOL I've got one:p came inthe car with the fbody clip

350 block, 400 heads, I hope it runs;)

12. DUB

DUB

The starter hangs on the left side, exhaust is a little tight.

Good luck,
    DUB

13. kustomkat

kustomkat

Very nice Chevy you have there. I think the Pontiac idea is great. Will you stick with the Jetaway in the Poncho or do the adapter thing for a th350??

14. teddyp

teddyp

That,s A Good Looking 49 Coupe The 389 Sounds Like A Cool Swap It,s A Shame Nobody Want,s The Car

15. Ditto

16. I got a Hurst Engine mount, Aluminum Flywheel for that 389.

17. Flop

Flop

i have a 50 poncho with a 389 in it .but heres the catch its on an s 10 frame but boy doy it fill that engine compartment really well.
    also how much did ya wack the roof on your car?
    have a good one and beautiful car

18. poncho

poncho

thanks 3 3/4 outta the roof front and back...how was the body swap on the s10 frame,,i havent heard of a car body put on the s 10 frame,,the 50's trucks i have seen done,,,but not a car body,,is it a ton'o'work? is it suggested??...

19. Flop

Flop

t wasnt to bad wheels fit the wheel wells absolutley perfect they sit in and look very close to original . dont knoww if it would work on a chevy though arnt the fenders on a pontiac 5 inches longer then a chevy? ill try and get a few pics today if your interested

20. poncho

poncho

ohh ya thats right i was thinking in realtion to our Canadian pontiacs, they are really chevys,,,so the bodys are different than u.s pontiacs,,...no biggie i will prolly clip the '49 in the future, thank dude

21. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Easy fix if there is a steering problem. If the 49 frame up front is the same as a 50 or 51 and I think it is, hack the front frame off and put in a Firebird or Camaro clip from say the mid 70's.Buddy of mine did it to his 51 and the Firebird frame slid into the stock frame like it was made for it. The 389 should fall in and be cool as hell. Good luck and do it!!