Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 316 Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31bowtie, Oct 29, 2013.

1. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Has anyone had any experience with getting a Pontiac 316 rebuilt? I am thinking that I would like to keep the original motor in my 56 Star Chief, as the transmission etc. seem to work great. Any advice or past experience would be appreciated! :D

2. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

Still looking for any help I can get.

3. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

That should not be much of a problem. The parts are still available and many
    machine shops have the right experience.
    Search out a few New England speed shops or try Hemmings Motor News for
    some local recommendations.
    Hemmings is in Vermont (I believe) and should have some reliable shop adverts.

4. pk, not to piss in your cheerios but there is an easier way that's worked for me. The '59-60 Pontiac 389 will work in front of your slant-pan hydro or your slim-jim...even your manual trans. It's a bolt-in swap with the 316 and it's easier to buy parts for...'specially pistons.
    If you're using the slant-pan transmission, a little careful grinding on the edge of the crank flange will enable the front half of the fluid coupling to seal against the crank's flange. If you neglect to grind the edge, the fluid coupling won't seat on the flange and all your trans fluid will end up on the ground...sometimes it takes out the front pump also.
    The 389 engine will look just like your 316 too. YOu can use the 316 valve covers, intake with it's '56 generator mount [I'd open up the ports in the intake] and even the 316 exhaust manifolds will work but the ports are pretty small. The motor mount bracket [front of engine] from the 316 will bolt up to the 389 and the rear mounts are on your 56 transmission.....just reuse 'em after buying fresh replacements.
    This swap really wakes up a 56 Pontiac....axe me how I know.

Attached Files: