Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poboyross' Budget Model A Build....Sans the Model A :P

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Poboyross, I agree with the earlier advice about the engine being set into the firewall. You could stretch the nose a little as early Chevs and Dodges had sixes in them and probably a longer engine cowl wouldn't look out of place.
    For a little perspective I am going to put a straight 8 in a 1929 Dodge for my project with two cylinders in the firewall , so your cup holder idea may come in handy!
    Lastly congrats to you and your wife expecting ,another little hot rod soul on the way. Take care , Rob.

2. llonning

llonning

If it turns out any where's near to your inspiration, it will be a great ride.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Not to foil plans but now that you have a such a rad body I'd be thinking otherwise on that engine selection. I'd be looking for a running Flathead. Scrounge, Save, Borrow....what ever it takes but a Coupester/roadster that nice needs a more appropriate engine choice. Banger?

4. I agree with JJ get a Flathead even a smc.Pete.

5. 29tx

29tx
    from Texas

Love the idea. I just picked up a coupester as well after three years of searching, found one for the exact amount of money i had to spare. Who's car is the black one?

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Well, if I can get as good of a deal on a running (or near running) flathead in my relative area as I did on that 250, then I'd do it in a heartbeat. I know we all like the 8's, but one of my core goals is budget.....this time it's as important as any physical component.

I don't know if mine was the amount of money I had to spare, but at least it was better than any other game in town! :)

The black coupester belongs to RustyDeuce here on the HAMB. He's out of NZ.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I'll do my best to keep and eye for you. I know it can't be that difficult to find something up there that's running. Anybody wanna donate one? Hehe!!!!

8. Go Daddy, Go!!!

Great roadster body! You have chosen some good cars for inspiration. If you stick to your ideals it will be an amazing car.

BloodyKnuckles

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Well, increasing my circle of hot rod friends is a biggie. But just from searching on Craigs/etc, most things are at a premium...especially if it has the word "flathead" in it! lol

Thanks for keeping a lookout! I do have things for trade, like a *really* nice and complete 49-51 Merc grille. I don't expect sumthin' fer nuthin'!

10. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

While your at my place Adam, bring more cake and a trailer and buy my '39 sedan. It has everything you need for that crappy body you bought from me. DOH!!!!

Everyone stating the great condition of the coupester makes me wish I'de started at a higher price. LOL
    Im actually excited to be able to see it being built on the HAMB and by such a nice guy.

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I think I'd have to sneak some money from the EMERGENCY fund and bring it along....by then, the jig would be up, I'd have the whole enchilada, and while I'd be grinning even more, I'd be driving home with a VERY angry PREGNANT wife!:eek: However, seeing that savings is probably going to be used to pay the hospital for birfin' our chi'ren, it would be the proverbial "stealin' candy from a baby". You think you could live with that? LOL :cool:

I also can't express enough thanks for working with me on the deal, it meant a lot. I'm constantly thankful for the great people you meet on the HAMB!

Speaking of engines....saw this on C-list:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/2023773903.html

[​IMG]

That thing is a beast!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  12. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Sense I don't have to live with an angry pregnant woman, it was worth bring up.

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

lol! I was just joshin'

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i know of a few decent bangers that could be up for sale

15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So in-between waiting for my computer to process some CAD parts (may day job...weekend job....24/7 job), I was doing some doodling on RustyDeuce's coupester, playing with some ideas that have been bouncing around. I know a lot of guys talk about addressing the extra length in the passenger area to get it more to roadster proportions, so it got me to thinking about how the back seat of a 64 Thunderbird or a 57 Buick is shaped. Perhaps by building a cowl that covers that span, thus pushing the seats forward, you also achieve the look of a shorter cab length? I also got to thinking about more modern roadsters, and how they have an aerodynamic cowl that kind of form-fits behind the seats, blending back down to the rear as it slopes downward. Here are a few examples of what I was thinking (modern inspiration) and my scribbly Photoslop sketch:

57 Buick back seat:

[​IMG]

Old Roadster...not so great attempt:

[​IMG]

The one above is wayyyyy too humpback....but it's and old body, or a repop, where they tried to do the same thing, the seat(s) I would do would go only slightly higher than the back of the original unbolting point for the coupe roof, allowing for a MUCH more subtle cowling behind the seats.

Forgive me for using a modern example:

[​IMG]

RustyDeuce's.....BEAUTIFUL coupester:
    [​IMG]

And, finally, my sketch:

[​IMG]

I took RustyDeuce's coupester, shortened the windshield, dropped it a few inches in the front, but still keeping it highboy. I also put some other ideas in red, front/rear fenders, partial side skirts, pod on the hood for tachometer, keep the gas fill. The idea behind all execution would be to not copy the modern roadster, but just the concept....ideally, it would keep the same styling and body lines to make it a cohesive design.

Anyway, it's just a pie-in-the-sky concept for now. I'm sure I'll change my mind a lot on the way down the path. Just figured I'd run it by ya'll, see what you think, ideas on feasibility, etc etc.

Best!
    Adam

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The window would be wrong on your car, I think the seats and treatment behind the seats would work better with the same type of window as on the not so great attempt. Why would you feel that you need the tach pod? Picture the hood with 4 rows of louvers, maybe 6, the 2 closest to each other run full length, next pair 2 shorter, next pair 2 shorter again, they are of course positioned so they are not grabbing the wind. Move the headlights back 2 more inches. Run the front fender down to 4 o'clock, the bisecting line of the back of the fender 2 inches rear ward, put the detail at the fender base, match the treatment at the back, puts the car into motion. Just tossin out ideas.

17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

AHA! I see. I smell what you're steppin' in ;) ....and I agree. I'll mod the sketch and repost it.

18. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Yup. I think the modern you are after is achieved through the look of motion, a bit of sweep in the line, as if the body is being formed by the wind at speed. Subtle, picture the front fender of an early Indian, but a bit more fragile and a tad thinner. I can't picture how to treat that metal work below the door, I would love to roll it under the body, but there is suspension there. My mind will toy with this as I sleep, if it pops something up I'll let you know. Your roadster is at the fun point, dreamin.

19. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Today I just had a 39 Packard inline 6 offered to me for free. Possible cracked block...but if not, would it be a more worthy substitution for the Chevy 250? I know the Chevy's parts would be hella-easier to find, but I live right next door to Kanter, so they ought to have parts for this little guy in stock.

20. packard would be cool! for free i would at least take it apart to see what it would cost to fix. cool project.

21. pregrid

pregrid

Watchin' this.....................

22. looks like you got a lotta cool ideas...now...get off the 'puter, and get to work making it happen!!! :D:D

23. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Even if you end up with using neither motor, you can scrap them for some bucks towards the dream.

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'd check out the Packard, unique.

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Buy a welder. subscribed

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Or BORROW one until I can afford it! I think I may be getting some free shop space and access to stuff like that in the near future :)

T-minus 12 hours until we leave for Indiana! Praying for non-dangerous weather and happy trails XD Rex is locked and loaded, I've got the cabbage....LET'S DO THIS!

27. ConnecticutJunkman

ConnecticutJunkman

Hey if you abandon the 250/glide combo let me know. Don't scrap them.. I'll trade you some cash for the powerglide. Im looking for one for my t-bucket build.

28. Have a safe trip. Did you sell your Chevy?? Todd

29. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Hey Todd,

Never did sell the Chevy. I went the least economical route and kept it, lol. I think I'm going to hold onto it for awhile. I thought I was going to have to sell it to afford something else, but I figured out a way to do both and not break the bank.