Register now to get rid of these ads!

Po boy flamethrowers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Wanting to help a friend install flamethrowers on his rig. We'd rather build them than buy a kit. Figure its more fun and maybe cheaper that way.

I'm thinking I've got it, but if something is missing, or ya have some advice please chime in.

Plan is to buy a new "spare" coil, run a hot straight to it from the battery (fused of course) to the coil, will have push button in-line to activate. Connect the coil, ground it out on frame near mounting point. then just route the plug and plug wire off from it there into the exhaust about 6-8 inches back from the tip.

We missing anything?

2. duste01

duste01

3. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

That wont work. You need to "kill" a cylinder in your engine so it doesnt burn the fuel. That unburned fuel goes through the exhaust being "lit off" by the plugs you installed back there. Look it up on line. Theres a few How to's out there about how to do it.

What duste01 said...

4. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Wow. Where to start. First thing first; coils don't work like that. They need a signal to spark; off on off on etc. Your points in your distributor do that. You can run a model T coil however; as they require power only. There are a bunch of threads, including one that makes a cheap electronic "signal" to fire a coil. In an old magazine article from the 50's there is a picture of a heater blower motor turning a 4 cylinder distributor in the trunk of a car with 2 leads going both tailpipes.
    2nd, you need fuel to reach the end. DO NOT do this with stock mufflers as the glass and restriction will force the gas to pool leading to a potential muffler explosion or worse. If you decide to run propane, you need a source of burnable air as well. If you feed ANY additional fuel back there, I would recommend some type of 1-way inline safety valves.
    Also, the traditional way to do it would be to turn on the ignition in the rear, reving the motor up, turning off the ignition at the motor, pumping the gas, then as the motor revs back down turning the ignition on back at the motor etc etc.
    IF you choose to do this, please be safe and remember to change your oil after you do this; or at least monitor it. Gas can really thin your lube.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta be one of the most stupid things a person can do with a car.

6. "We missing anything?"

Common sense? Taste?

7. RichG

RichG

There's really only one use for flamethrowers... and once you see it you never want to see it again.

Also, intentionally lighting your car on fire is kinda dumb, but hey, to each their own.

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

suggest to your friend that if he really needs that much attention, that maybe a tastefully done "wing" might be cheaper and even more impressive. And, remember, don't make it too much higher than this one or it just looks stupid.

[​IMG]

9. 6berry

6berry

that thing looks like would would add a good 200-500 hp depending on what material he made it out of. that spoiler combined with the stars on the taillights, the wide body kit, the go kart rims, and the japanese lettering on the side hes probably up to like 4000 hp or more!!!

10. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Thats funny shit right there! He should mass produce that body kit. Could probly retire after acouple years with the taste kids have these days.

11. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

I think those are the same bleacher seats I have for a Brewer game next month.

12. kustombypook

kustombypook

Flame throwers are so 1990's.

13. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Ha ha! Did it; melted a tail light, just happens that my gas door is in the rear of the car as well (covered with the old wet rag) -this was quite a few years ago when I was younger. Don't need to do it on anything else. Been there, done that.

If you are insistent; please be safe and really look at all of the risks---and carry around an oil change and some Bon Ami to send through your carb and scuff up your rings after you wash them!!!

14. duste01

duste01

15. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I think the best thing to do with you flame thrower guys is back um up to eachother and have a good old fashoned cook out. Burn the goofy crap to the ground.

16. pdc

pdc

WHAT THE HELL are those things? What's the use for any of it?

17. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Are you missing anything?

The safety & well being of the driver/passengers and anyone within the vicinity of your out-of-control gas BBQ just so you can have the look-at-me factor?

Yeah, I think you are....

18. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

From what I can see on that show site; I really want one. I would love to have one of them forklift looking spoilers. Can you imagine how easy it would be to load and move stuff around the yard? It may even work for the snow up here.

19. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

20. Beau

Beau

Super Soakers work the best.

21. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

thats the thing, those cars are actually made to be laughed it!! its kind of an ugly dog competition...i dunno!!

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW!!! Nice luggage rack. As far as "flamethrowers" go, this car should have inverted flamethrowers; that would take care of the real problem. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

bozosuko style is a big part of the japanese car scene, these people are very intelligent, they arent stupid, they might think we are stupid with our hot rods car culture is like fashion, it is different the world over, respect to all car scenes around the world

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

bozosuko style is a big part of the japanese car scene, these people are very intelligent, they arent stupid, they might think we are stupid with our hot rods car culture is like fashion, it is different the world over, respect to all car scenes around the world[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sure.

And they can make fun of Trad Hot Rods and Customs all they want on their own Forums.

Just leave that garbage off this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.