Register now to get rid of these ads!

please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big fluffy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. big fluffy

big fluffy

I'm restoring a 49 ford f1 and i don't know if i should keep it on a 6 volt system or convert it over to 12 volt. Any help would be greatly appreitated.

2. restoring = 6 volt

If you are going to use it regularly you will be much happier with a 12V conversion.

3. 12 volt makes more sense,if nothing more than having better lighting. HRP

4. big fluffy

big fluffy

I'm gunna drive it alot and it won't be a stock restoration.

5. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

6. Yep

7. You just answered your own question. :D HRP

8. belair

belair

If you're going to use it a lot, go 12 volts.

9. billcove

billcove
    from mass

10. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I'd go 12v pondered this on my RPU went 12v and glad I did. One thing I learned was you could still use your 6v starter.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. 9 Volts is the only way to go.

While I have a tendency to tell folks that 6V works well, I normally convert everything I own to 12V. That way at a later date if I am driving from Stale Sandwich to the other side of Pig Snarf and loose a genny or battery I don't have to go sneaking around someone's farm looking for electrical parts. :D

I believe that either works well or can be made to work well, your options are better with 12V these days.

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

As one poster said...........12V for better lighting.
    Brighter tail and brake lights are a 'must' these days.

13. big fluffy

big fluffy

what all will i need to convert over? I'm running the flathead 6. I only asked becasue my step dad argued with me everytime time i said convert to 12v.

14. A 12 V battery a genny and voltage regulater. 12V lights and shunts for whatever 6V electrical components you decide to keep intact.

15. big fluffy

big fluffy

Would i still be able to use my orignal gauges or have to get the 12v ones?

16. That is what the shunts are for. Most of your gauges should be mechanical on that old Ford, your AMP gauge doesn't care how many volts it is, it is only measuring amps. If you upgrade to a high amperage alternator the amp gauge is not going to be up to the task but you should be fine if you stay with a gennerator. So for gauges you need one shunt for the gas gauge.

Your starter doesnt care the 6 V starter is usually stouter anyway, you will need a 12V coil for your ignition. maybe would not hurt to go to a 12V blower motor on your heater and your AM radio will need a shunt.

17. big fluffy

big fluffy

Ok thanks for all the help guys.

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If the 6 cylinder is like the V-8, you can use a 12 volt generator from the newer Fords, when ever they switched to 12 volts. I am thinking that your generator has a strap that holds it on the bracket. Swap generators. The 12 volt generator has holes in the end plates for a mounting bolt that you will not use.

Or just use your 6 volt generator with a 12 volt regulator. Works for me. Probably don't want alot of draw on it though. All that I have is lights and charging the battery.

Neal

19. hemiboy

hemiboy

Depends. Do you want it to start ALL the time? If so, 12 volt. If not, 6 volt.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main reason I would go with 12 volts is the cost and availability of batteries. Have you priced a quality Group 2 or 2L lately? Or you could take your chances with a $140 Optima. The commonly available group 1 6 volt batteries are not up to starting a flathead under less than ideal conditions.