Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suiside, Apr 5, 2007.

1. suiside

suiside

hello fellas...I just got a fix it ticket the other day for not having any bumpers..i currently took the fromt and rear bumpers off my caddy so that i could repolish them or perhaps just get them re-chromed...yet i have seen many hot rods, rat rods..and just oolder vehicles with out them..how do they get away with it? is there any specification to what a bumper should look like or be? ....can i just put a salab of steel accross the front and call it a bumper? thanks.. -Suiside

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

It likely doesn't matter how others do it now. You also didn't mention what Cadillac you own. You're more likely to get away with it on an old street rod than you are a 63.

[​IMG]

Now you can weld a bar across the front and see if they accept it or not. You can put the old back, get it checked and take them back off, which will likely get you a ticket because the police will be watching.

The easiest thing would to be is to ask what they will accept and do it.

3. Degreaser

Degreaser

Im sure a 2x4 would even work.

4. California has bumper laws?:confused: HRP

5. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Sounds like your cops have a hard on for you dude.

6. Vergil

Vergil

Drove my '31 full fendered coupe to the CHP for inspection and a vin# about a month ago, no bumpers and nothing was said about them, everything passed. I think they overlook more on the older cars.

Vergil

7. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

on a lot of old cars bumpers were not standard equiptment! if they were options they can't tag you for not having them so a lot of the older cars get left alone.I'm talking 30s and older here

8. suiside

suiside

Yea, well mine is a 1970 sedan deville..in this little town of Salinas.. we have about the same amount of gang violence as los angeles county has..sooo any young mexican kid rollin on a lowerd vehicle gets harrased..i appreciate cops and eventually would like to be one..but man this is pushing it..i mean i could put them back on..but would prefer to wait..anyone have any realistic ideas? can i just ad a steel slab, slap a license plate to it and call it a bumper?..here is how it currently sits...note: its a work in progress at which i work on at my jr college cuz i live in a condo!..and oh btw the darekr green is only etching primer..ive been strippin the panels one by one with aircraft paint remover and a hog..i wish i knew ppl around here that i could lern from but i dont so i lern as i go!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

You aren't likely to get away with that.

10. It'll be the sharp edges & big chunks of steel sticking out of the front....

Salinas cops are bad for shit like that tho

11. 47bob

47bob

I'd call your nearest CHP office and ask them what would suffice for a temporary bumper. They might work with you to get the citation cleared. .....Bob

12. suiside

suiside

Well Thanks Fellas For All The Replies...yea I Think Bob Set Me Up ..ill Call The Chp And See If Some Donuts Will Give Some Lee-way..