Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plain Vanilla - Altered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Offset, May 4, 2011.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great thread on here started by Marshall from Tacoma WA titled "The Altered Update". I did not want to impose on his information thread (beautiful car by the way, great engineering) but it made me wonder if anyone knows what happened to the 60's altered 'Plain Vanilla' also powered by a straight six. I think the car was Michigan based but could be wrong. I also think it was a NHRA record holder at one time.

I saw it race when I was a kid and I seem to recall that it was stolen and never recovered. Anyone have information or a picture of this altered?

Thanks in advance.:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Andamo

Andamo

Pretty sure Plain Vanilla was V8 powered and I think Charlie Smith from Oklahoma was the owner/driver.

bchctybob and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Agree.

4. That is correct. Charlie Smith was the owner/driver of Plain Vanilla. And it ran an injected SBC.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction, I do believe that it was Charlie Smith that owned the car. I know he raced an A/A and perhaps even a Fuel Altered at one time but he did have a straight six Ford E/A that was both an IHRA and NHRA record holder at one point. It may have been early 70's later than I initially recalled.

I am still pretty sure that the E/A was the car that was stolen. Anyone recall that car?

6. Church Key

Church Key

I think you may have convoluted several cars. Plain Vanilla as stated by others was Charlie Smith from Oklahoma. Injected SBC 23 T A/A record holder. Kay Sissle was a standout with a straight six altered with a 23 T body. The "Jewel T" AA/A was stolen from Indy, never to be seen again... There is a nice thread on here about the Jewel T.

7. 41woodie

41woodie

Charlie and his brother were my heros in the early sixties. That little injected SBC would move. Ask the guys around Parr Automotive about him for more info. Clifford and Sissel both ran strong straight sixs, but I don't remember Smith ever running one. Plain Vanilla was plain but it didn't lose many races.

Attached Files:

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Guys you are probably right that I have this confused. I did find a picture of a racer named Joe Smith from Kentucky running an E/A Ford powered 23T that was a NHRA and IHRA record holder.

Thanks for the information on Jewel T, I will look that up.

9. Larry T

Larry T

Ford powered E/A from the early 70's, maybe Joe Williamson's Troublemaker?
    Larry T

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Joe's was red. Charlie Seabrook on the East coast had a yellow (cream?) inline six powered altered too. At one time he was running a Jag, other time a GM six.

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Jerry Arnold of Michigan also ran a yellow E/A Ford-powered altered - still does as a matter of fact. Many-time record holder and national event winner.

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

[​IMG]

Dean Lowe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I called my drag racing historian (Dad) and he said that The Smith Bros. ran a 327 with a stroker crank (basically a 350) and they were close to 390 CID by the time they were done. He used to run with those guys back in the day. Just a little FYI.

14. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

I remember Frank and Charlie well running at the Okla City Fairgrounds. Charlie also had a 58 Impala that he ran in stock some. I believe Frank had a '40 Willys early on, the last time i saw him was at a Div 4 points race in the early 70's and he had a dragster. I had moved south thanks to my uncle, lived in Georgia, but ventured out quite a ways for the NHRA divisionals. I believe Frank and Charlie were cement contractors. Jimmy Parker

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sure keep dragging up my 13 year old mistake. LoL

Some great looking altereds for the memory bank.

Happy New Year all stay warm and healthy.