Register now to get rid of these ads!

piston rings, how do YOU stagger 'em

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikeyboy, May 2, 2005.

1. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc? buddy of mine read somewhere about how you stagger the spacing, according to how the engine rotates, (clockwise / counter clockwise ) I've read you do not want ring gap paralell with the rod, another says ring gap on the same line as the piston pin, another says install rings on a full moon night
    anyone have any ideas on this subject,
    as usual, all input appreciated, smart ass replys expected :)

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

No real mystery.I just make sure the gaps are not lined up in a row. 3 rings,120 deg. 4 rings-90 deg.? sound right?? Sparky

3. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

One other thing do not line up a ring gap with the wrist pin hole, pistons are not round thay are oval with the largest diameter 90 degress from the wristpin. Other than that it's easy, check your end gap before putting rings on the piston.

4. Darby

Darby

Just space them out somewhat evenly- I make sure the top ring gaps (assuming you've got two top rings) are 180 degrees apart, and the parts of the oil ring pack are 120 degrees apart (assuming you've got a three-piece oil ring assembly). Personally, I don't align them at the same point on the piston every time, though I do all of them the same in one engine, just so when I'm building it, I can tell if something has moved or isn't done.

The top rings will rotate around when the engine runs, so all this is more for break-in/initial blowby purposes than anything else. If a cylinder bore is really out of round, the gaps may "find a spot" and stay there (which will wear ring & bore faster), but on a newly bored/honed block, they'll rotate once you get up and running. With a three-piece oil ring pack, the whole thing rotates together, so it's even more important to space those out right.