Register now to get rid of these ads!

Piston Ring Question - .030 or .035 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlouisgasser, Nov 7, 2010.

1. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Fellas, I'm helping a friend freshen up a 427 CID that's .030 over and when ordering rings, there's a choice between .030 and .035. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm used to seeing sizes like STD, .030, or .060. What with this .035 set? I suspect it's because Forged pistons require a little more clearance than Cast piston and the slightly larger bore needs this .035 ring set. I'm just kinda surprised that a .030 ring set couldn't be used even with the slightly more cylinder wall clearance and ring manufacturer's felt the need to produce a .035 set. Anybody?

2. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

The .035 rings are supplied for guys who want to file fit them to their personal preference for end gap.

chicken

3. squirrel

squirrel

yup for filing to fit. Lots of work...probably not be worth the extra effort unless you have to get every last half hp out of it