Register now to get rid of these ads!

Piss-off pipes.......I mean headers again! Any NEW ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2003.

1. My pal Randy score a semiload of stainless tubing and bends today. This works since he was trying to get me to build some wicked pipes for the Touring. I have spent the last few late-nights looking into old Mags for neat header ideas. My favorite so far is the first set of pipes Norm had on the Kookie Car. Basically I am tired of "Limefire" type headers, just not my thing. Any good ideas out there? I have pages of thumbnails sketched out on different ideas, always looking for more.

2. quickrod

quickrod

t-man, what size is the pipe? i always wanted to do a set of "pure hell"altered style zoomies with a 2" drop in after market baffel from a motor cycle pipe {so ya don't get hassled by the man} there only about 3 or 4 inches long and barely restrict.they were basically sold as a "fuck you" for cops and there nightsticks. always thought that would be kool....quickrod

3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Here's a couple cars my dad built in the late 60's.
    These headers were built by the same guy who did the ones on my roadster.

[​IMG]

The orange T in the background is the same one as the green one in the pic above this was the early version. Although it is dated 1971 I think this pic was taken a few years earlier and not developed until then. It is probably more like 66 or 67.

I think these were the first "piss off" style pipes the guy made.

[​IMG]

These were the headers on my roadster in about 66 when it had the Olds. The were also made by the same guy. I think they are AWSOME. The car looks cooler with them, not so pipe heavy.

I wonder if my dad was "pissed" when he put them on and couldn't open the doors.

The guys name is Russ Sacs, he still has a muffler shop.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks Bob. Very cool history in those pics. Like said I am leaning towards a leaner style of pipe. The Grabowski ones I spoke of are on page 87 of Hop Up TWO. Sorry no scanner. With all this stainless, I am sure I can do SOMETHING!!!!!

5. holymercifulchit! I like those in the second pic...

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You might think about a Tri-Y header design. Very popular in the early sixtys. I built a set for the 34 P/U but, I can't recall which primaries connect. It's based on the firing order. They appear simple but don't look "1-800 cookie cutter". For the SBC...one side is simple. the 2 front ports and the 2 rear ports yoke together and then the secondarys yoke together. On the other side ports 1 and 3 then 2 and 4 yoke together. etc. I just can't be certain which side was which. You don't see them anymore.

7. Tommy, I think I settled on a Tri-Y Limefire type combo. I found some cool examples in teh last few nights reading my old print.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I ran 1 3/4" primaries about 12-14" before connecting. Then 2" secondaries down to a 2 1/2 collector on a 305 sbc. I didn't do a great deal of research on the lengths (street motor) I just eye balled what I saw. I still like the old style ...collector under the car...intead of the new shortie header design that is all the rage today.

9. T man- what ever you decide on dont forget the unwritten "must" for hot rod headers.....they must blow dust up when started/revved![thats for the 'pouty doll-show cars"] parked next to ya....... [​IMG]