Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstripers, auto artists...Howz Business?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikey's Pinstriping, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Wondering how all you pinstripers, custom painters and auto artists are doing business wise. It has been slow here in central TX as for striping late models and everyday drivers but the shows are still fairly good. With the exception of rain and heat this year, the car shows are still the place for me to make my money.

How'z your business?

MiKEY DiD it
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "does bad things to good cars"

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Pretty hit and miss around here for me. Biggest problem for me around here is the abundance of stripers and I'm the new guy in town. Working mostly to get my name out. Finding work hasn't been the easiest either.

3. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I generally stripe alot of new cars for dealerships and people who buy new cars. Since car sales are flat and the economy is still slow they are not spending the money for the extra's. Fortuneately I am busy with the sign and graphic work that I do.

4. Magic

Magic

Having a great year and do not see any signs of it slowing in the near future, Stuff comming in everyday and lots of diverse projects. Tons of small jobs and several long term projects and lots of bike skins comming in lately. We are blessed that the work load stays full and every job out bring another 1 or 2 in from referals. The hot rods just seem to comming out of hibernation and raring to get all decked out.

Nothing better than getting paid to play at what you love.

5. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

It is tough here on the Island. I started in '87 then the bottom of the economy fell out in '90 and I found out a hard lesson, "I wasn't a necessity" I survived, moved to NC for 3 years and got killed, just moved back to LI,NY knowing it would be tough.......it is down right scarry here. That's about as honest answer I can give, nobody doing anything, 2,3 and 4 generation businesses .....gone. I hope things turn around soon........ best of luck to all...........

6. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I just stripe at shows and cruise ins, but I do pretty well....Follow the rockabilly guys, they love it.

7. Having retired 3 years ago and vowing to work only a couple days a week,I find myself still putting in near a full week's work.There are a couple of motorcycles coming in next week and I have a vintage fire engine to letter Wednesday as well as some simple striping on a 56 Ford pickup later on.

I'm not making a million dollars but then again I'm not trying to.Most of my clients(body shops)are still doing a pretty good business but new car stuff is in the toilet.With the unemployment rate at over 16% here it isn't too surprising.

8. ratster

ratster

i do some off topic stuff along with my hotrod art. not getting rich but i'm my own boss.

9. killer-D

killer-D

Last two year have been my best in 34 years of pinstriping.

10. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

I do multiple things besides pinstripe but it's always slow here in winter, seems like it gets slower every winter.

11. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Hope this doesn't jinx me, but my automotive art business is hoppin'. Since it's a side business just can't seem to get it all done... Don't even advertise any more, customers just seem to find me.

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I don't have my own business, so my experience may be pointless,.....but striping for me has been @ the same as when I started a few years ago.....slower in winter and busy at summer shows. I don't advertise and have yet to make a "name" for myself I suppose....
    As much as I'd like to go into business for myself just pinstriping and custom painting, with a family to care for, I'm scared.:)

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I don't stripe, haven't for many, many years, but the T-shirt, illustration, concept car design business is going great...I'm about 6 designs behind at the minnit...I quit working for a corporate paycheck in 2000, best decision I ever made...even tho these days I work 12 to 14 hours a day...it's something I love doing...economy went south...what economy...???

R-

14. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Business here in South East Wisconsin SUCKS! Sometimes I have to pick up the phone to see if it's still working. Luckey for me, I do some indoor commercial mural work with Bendi the Stroke out of Chicago once in a while, and that helps keep the wolfs from the door. After 35 years, if this bullshit don't turn around soon, I may have to go find a real job!!!! And how suckie would that be!:mad:

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Business for me here in Orange County CA has been fairly consistant. I can owe that to the fact that I do several applications other than pinstriping. On the list this week was some licsense plates for restoration, motorcycle striping, a small woodgraining project, lettering on a boat, striping a deuce sedan, and painting two antique ice chests. I would say I'm not setting any records , but I am paying the bills !