Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picture request-- the horror of scrapping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, May 2, 2008.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Does anyone have any pics that shows old cars being scrapped, or in process of?

I'm writing a small piece for my blog about the problems with elimination of steel / aluminum production in the U.S. (we now rely on China/Russia for large %,) and how we are now losing steel / our old cars to China through "recycling."

Thanks for sharing.

-scott noteboom

2. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

There was a guy on eBay a while back selling a video of an entire bone yard that was filled with stuff from the 30's, 40's, 50's and some stuff right up into the 70's being scrapped.

Not sure if he still lists it for sale.

4. chopdtop

chopdtop

I saw these heading to the scrapper even before the prices went sky high.

Attached Files:

5. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

great pics, thanks. keep ''em coming if you have them.

-scott noteboom

6. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I wonder if there is anyway you could find out who has received notices from the local government to move and/or remove old cars and/or scrap from their property. Think about it, it's public information, therefore, it should be available to folks like us right? If this information was available, you could drive-by the property and contact the owner about removing the "scrap" for them. You could look it over and offer the owner $XX for the "pile" and haul it to your place, or some where, and strip it or whatever. Knowing how the local government here works, the information could be obtained by city employees and resold with the money going into the employees (cops) pocket. This actually happened here in Corpus. Two senior policemen were fired because they would have cars hauled to the impound lot, for whatever reason, and then they received preferrencial (sp?) treatment at the lot because they were cops. At the auction the cops would buy the cars and fix them up and resale them on their brother in laws car lot. Talk about dishonest and immoral cops...we have them all here. There are more thieves in city hall than in the jail. Sad times bro, sad times.:(

7. AD

AD

dang, i thought all this scrapping of old cars buisness was just happening further up north,, but i'll be damned when i went to go truble shoot a kobelco at the scrap yard we usually get work from i saw two old 30's stlye crunched up wads of metal,, only some cowl and some door were still kinda in tact,, wtf!, part of me even wated to try and save THAT,, but neh,,

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

all the old tin is gone up here..or most all of it (michigan). if the rust didnt get it..the crushers got it. or the mini mills here use it to melt back down to send to japan..most of the cars found in junk yards here are no older than 1980.

9. I think here in Bryan Texas scrap was 9.50 for 100 lbs at the Yard for "old Autos" as they said, I watched people drag any and everything they could find around town.And i mean everything. They did not require any paper work to turn in said cars as well so im sure that helped... It Sucks A couple of Cars i look at getting after i make a bit more room.. GONE!! This sucks

10. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

thanks folks, Chopdtop-- great pic. I used it in my blog and gave you credit for it. Were not supposed to get too political here, so i'll just put the link to my post if anyone is intersted:

http://notebooms.com/blogger/?p=84

Thanks,

-scott noteboom

11. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

This one will make you weep.

I believe this was common practice of the day. They stacked them and burtn them to remove the rubber, plastic, and cloth to get to the solid recyclable "Scrap".

Attached Files:

12. WOW....thank you for sharing this...I work with Elwood Engel's son in my day-job...I'm sure he'll get a kick out of this as his Dad had a turbine as his daily driver for a year or so as VP of Design at Chrysler.

13. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

This thread is painful to view. :( What a shame about those Chrysler turbine cars.

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

15. Vorhese

Vorhese

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man that last picture really is horrible !!

17. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

Well, I hate to see good old cars scrapped, and ThyssenKrupp is a German company, but........ Company I work for has a part of design and construction for this mill, and they were looking for steel mill experience a few months back.

http://www.thyssenkruppnewusplant.com/news.aspx?NewsId=20

18. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

the picture is horrible, yet beautiful at the same time. that pile of old iron just glows of history, soul, stories, etc. i wish it was still around so that we could dig the soul back out...

-scott noteboom

19. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

Im NOT LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!!

20. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

had those cars not been piled like that there would be so many savable bodies right there it brings a tear to my eye.

21. InPrimer

InPrimer

I agree that a lot of old tin has been crushed lately but I heard (since I was not born yet) that during WWII a lot of old cars were parked in stategic places such as golf courses, to not "allow the enemy" to land there ...............more paranoia , another issue is that a lot of cars were scrapped so that they would quit "polluting" while coal energy sources were allowed to spew out a lot of CO2 in the name of progress. The bottom line is that the ALMIGHTY dollars take precident over a hobby that perhaps impacts 1 per hundred cars on the road, besides "if you give up the old ride" good ole Detroit or whomever can sell you a generic bellybutton POS and thus the economy thrives according to their thinking...........

22. chopdtop

chopdtop

Thnaks for the credit, that's cool.

That is just sad. Is that car under the very top car a sedan delivery or does it just have something written on the window?

Now that is really sad!

23. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

My son is scrapping all of the vehicles in these pictures except the camper. I'm taking off the goodies on the 64 Corvair and will soon list them in the classified if it's not too new. In the yellow pickup is a 28 Dodge fordor which my son got for scrap price.
    I cleaned out one his garages and am stuffing it with goodies I don't have the heart to let him crush.

Attached Files:

24. jimichrome

jimichrome

Among all stories they could tell, the 1 they share is about that 1st day they were picked up brand new. Here'a a shot called "Heggies Scrapyard" 1951 Boston.
    [​IMG],

25. James427

James427
    BANNED

Here is one I scrapped a few months ago. Listed it, advertised it, craigslist it and still nobody offered more than the scrap yard. In fact I did not get one single offer and I had it listed for $400 OBO. After 4 weeks of begging someone to pick it up for scrap value and getting no response, off she went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. sv_i

sv_i

Same thing's happening in Australia, we can't dig Iron Ore out of the ground fast enough to sell to the Chinese and Japanese for next to nothing, yet "kind hearted community conscious" steel companies are "doing the right thing for the environment" and offer free car removal so they can either sell good cars to Egypt and parts of Asia as taxis, or cube them and send them overseas as scrap metal.

27. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

turns my fuckin stomach!! to think, we're sellin the chinese ALL the material they need to build enough tanks and artillery to subjugate the entire planet should they choose to do so. they've already got the manpower to get the job done......THINK PEOPLE!!!!