Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picture request 28/29 Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toner283, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Toner283

Toner283

I am getting ready to install the top wood kit in my 29 Tudor. I have never done this before & I would like to do it right the first time. I would like to see some detailed pictures of how it is supposed to go together. Particularly the brackets & braces around the back of the roof. I think I have most of the metal brackets but there was pretty much no wood left in my car when I got it so I am not 100% sure.

I have the green handbook but the pictures are not really clear and the instructions (for the roof bows especially) are worse. I have searched on here and on fordbarn several times with no luck.

Can anyone out there post up some close up pictures of the rear corners of the roof taken from the inside? I would also like a closeup of where the metal top bows meet the pieces that run front to back on the edge of the roof opening. Also some of the where the header and the side rails meet taken from the inside and how the header cover fits together with the rest of the sheetmetal.

Can anybody out there help a fella out????

2. donbatey

donbatey

Just nipped out in the dark, these any good? let me know and I'll take more/ more specific ones.

Don.

Attached Files:

3. Toner283

Toner283

Thanks, those are very helpful. Could you take a few others for me? I would like one of the little bracket at the front that appears to hold the roof bow rail to the header, I am not sure if I have that bracket in my pile of parts. I need one of where the middle metal roof bow, the top bow side rails and the side tack strip pieces meet (where the metal bow bolts on above the doors). One of the rear from below the triangular bracket showing how the rear header, the triangle bracket and the curved wood piece for tack strip all fit together? I think there is a small bracket that fits in there somehow but I am not sure. I got a bucket full of assorted parts & pieces with my car & I am still trying to figure out where they all fit.

4. Toner283

Toner283

Bump for the afternoon crew.

5. donbatey

donbatey

Heres a few more pictures, hope they help-need any more let me know.
    Don.

Attached Files:

6. Toner283

Toner283

Thanks Don, those pictures are very helpful, I appreciate it. Your car and mine are a little different from each other. Specifically the brackets at the front of the top bow rails. Maybe because of yours being built in the UK?

I have made a little progress this weekend, not much but I made a start. Hopefully with a little luck I will have the top wood in the car in a few weeks. I would like to have my car at the unfinished Nats in Paris, Ontario at the beginning of May. It will not be finished but hopefully it will drive into the park under its own power.

I do have 3 pairs of unidentified brackets. Since I got my car in pieces I am not sure where these go. If anyone knows where they go or what they are for please let me know. I put a quarter in the pictures just to give an idea of size. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mystery brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my car, these were taken in November about three days before the white crap hit. 58 283, super T10, 63 chevy truck hydraulic clutch bellhousing, 67 chevelle 10 bolt rear. Please ignore the ugly rollers, they will not be on it when the car hits the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. The small "L" shaped brackets may go in the top bolt that bolts the back panel to the side panel. The bolt that goes thru the piece of wood at the back, then thru the body, then thru the back piece of wood that is under the back tack strip, the thru that bracket. I just took the back top wood out of my '31 tudor and it has that bracket as I explained. Hope this makes sense. Will try and get a pic tomorrow.

8. The eyebrow wood and wood behind the panels above the doors will need to ground, massaged, adjusted to fit just as replacement metal body parts have same appearance with fitment problems. It is not a button up or bolt up deal.

9. Toner283

Toner283

bjinx - do you mean the one circled in red in this pic?

[​IMG]

I do have those ones. The ones in the other picture I posted are about the same gauge as the body metal. The ones circled in the above pic are about .125 thick. The small ones that I don't know where they go also have an angle built into them - a little hard to see on the pic but with the bottoms sitting square to each other, the tops are angled together. Thanks to donbatey for the above picture.

patrick2965, I know that I will have the header and the side rails in & out of the car a dozen times. My dad & I did the top wood in the coupe in my avatar (more pics in an album in my profile) so I am not a total stranger to the wood work in an old ford. The Tudor is significantly different & I am just trying to gather information before I get too far in. Also the coupe was a complete car with dry rotten wood already in it so we were able to take pictures as we took it apart. I don't have that luxury with my Tudor, it has next to no wood left in it.

Nothing in the above pictures in nailed together - just bolted loosely as I figure out where everything goes.

Some of those brackets might not even belong to my car - there was a bucketful of assorted "stuff" with it. I am hoping the power of the HAMB can help me out.

10. donbatey

donbatey

Don,t know about yours being different - mine was built in the good 'ole USA too, shipped it over last year, can't look at mine at the moment, working away from home till the weekend- your car looks great by the way.

11. Yes that is the one I was referring to, but after looking at mine I belive it could be the one that the belt line piece of curved wood, that comes with the lower body wood kit, attaches to at the back panel joint. Also the third bracket looks like the rear seat back bracket on my car that attaches to
    the back panel joint about 16" up from the floor of the car. Forgot my camera yesterday but hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the shop and took some pics today of the two brackets I talked about above.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      326.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      278.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. Toner283

Toner283

bjinx, Those sure look like the ones. Two out of three in one shot ain't bad at all. Thanks.

Anybody out there know what the remaining mystery bracket is from?

13. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

thanks for sharing this.....I've got a roof wood kit in my immediate future.