Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of my '62 gasser project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novas4life, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Saw this one at the NorCal KnockOut in Vallejo. . .

[​IMG]

2. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

3. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Thats awsome i telll my wife the same thing
    "Honey this one is for you"

4. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Great vid!! Looks like fun.
    Thanx for posting it up
    Brandon

5. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

I believe thats Smokin Bill and his wifes car.
    Great pic,
    Brandon

6. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

That things coming together awesome man! You and your wife have done a fantastic job on it. keep up the great work.

7. Racrdad

Racrdad

Love this build thread. You are doing a heck of a good job. Keep it up!

8. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Realized that I screwed up and didnt set the caster with all the weight on the front tires.Good thing I only had the spring pads tacked on. I also made new shock mounts and mounted the shocks. I pulled the axle and sent it to my buddies custom shop.I had him weld the perches on because I didnt think my machine would get hot enough to penetrate how thick the tube axle and pads are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

9. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Good Lord work has been busy.Havent had any time off in a month and a half.Finally got out to the shop this weekend.
    Started pulling the car back apart to finish up some stuff.
    Got the door bars in.
    Got the upper support for the extended colum made. I had to make it removable so I can service the colum if nessessary.
    Got the brackets made from the front alcohol tank.
    And Got the rear disc all mounted up.
    *****NOTE******
    If anybody ever uses the SpeedWay rear disc kit.You have to shave the crap out of the calipers to get them to fit inside a 15" wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  10. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Brandon, Awesome work you are doing on an awesome project. While I have 2 Willys I've been a Nova fan since the 70's (had several, now have a 64 wagon). Yeah it's for your wife, ahuh, I get it you lucky dog. It's kinda interesting to see how the project went from a correct stock wheel base Gasser into an Altered Wheel Base AFX car. That thing is going to be one Bad Ass ride when you get it finished.
    John

11. 69fury

69fury

can you tell us which kit this is- i was planning on the metric kit that the circle track boys use. I think the metric calipers are smaller, but i'm not positive.

12. jipp

jipp

brandon, iv read this from when you started in 2009. what i find interesting is how this look ( lack of a better words at this point.. i have no idea if its a gasser, af/c whatever, i do not know the rules or have the rule book) has become even more popular now. front of magazine covers, shows, pop culture if you will. it seems to have come into style again with joe public, doubt it ever went out of style with die hard gear heads obv. ( i dunno, iv never been on a drag strip, i grew up in the mountains of Oregon where.. off-roading and getting the best time on the 5 mile loop was our thing). which about the time you will be finishing yours it will be in full swing..

im 36 i came into style in 1993 when grunge took the world over.. yeah i grew up in Oregon, where we wore flannels, etc. it was the norm. when that trend was in full bloom.. rich kids where spending 50.00 for a flannel T shirt that i was paying 5.00 for. i live in the desert now so( i always get a kick out of thinking i was once in style ) i guess ill always be in style shorts and a T. my sister probably would disagree with me on that tho damn them whipper snappers. laughs. keep up the great work.. i like it.. cute pug btw. he digs go fast parts, that picture of him looking at the blower made me laughs.. :)

chris.

13. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Yea John,Novas are our thing.We have the '64 Wagon (2 door panel conversion)thats our driver.
    My '67 and her '62
    But....................on my long list of fantasy wish list. A 41 Willy's and a 55 Chevy,both axled cars.

14. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

This is the kit.I wanted to do bolt on,but my rear wheels are 5 on 5.So the only kit they had was this weld on one.Its for a 9" Ford housing ends. I had them put on when I had the Dana 60 narrowed and axles made.
    I was hesitant to shave the calipers,but there is plenty of "meat" there,so it should'nt be an issue.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Complete-Rear-Disc-Brake-Kits-78-88-GM-Metric-Caliper,31752.html
    Brandon

15. riviera gasser

riviera gasser
    from howell NJ

well done very nice work..

REAL MEN DRIVE GASSERS

16. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

While I was 'on-call' this weekend,the wifey stripped the roof,pillars,cowl and jambs.
    We loaded up the car and took it to my friends custom shop.Hes going to straighted the car,seal it and put it in blocking primer.We'll then take the car back,prime and paint the chassis,jambs,firewall and interior metal.We'll block the car and then send it back to have it painted.
    I also sent the doors out to be media blasted,picked those up also and delivered them.
    Heres some pics I snapped of Wifey getting crazy on the car.She spent probably 10 hrs this weekend on the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

17. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Blake photoshopped her car far us. Its at the body shop right now,I think this is what were going with.Its '62 Chevrolet maroon,and silver.
    Whats Yall Think?
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

18. straight axle

straight axle
    from Oregon

I like it. Nothing at all like I had pictured it. Then again I had no idea on what it would look like. The car is coming along great! When will the car be back home?

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

20. jipp

jipp

looks fantastic, and how cool is that wife getting dirty on the build.. this car will have tons of good memories for you two for many decades to come.. rock on.
    chris.

21. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Well,I thought I'd post up some more progress pics. I stopped by the custom shop to take a look at the car.It reminds me of how much I dont do body work.
    Its a real talent. There isnt really much plastic at all on the car. Its almost all skim coat.He had to do several small patch panels on the door and assured me the highs and lows were metal worked out and not just filled with mud.
    The 'el cheapo glass decklid I bought suprisingly didnt need much work.
    He had to build up an edge to make up the gap on the glass nose for the doors and cowl.
    but the body and doors are done,he needs to finish working the nose,and prep the interior metal.
    Pretty close to getting some color,but still a lot of work to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon

22. Looking good, love that paint scheme.

23. straight axle

straight axle
    from Oregon

24. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Been following this for a while and it's turning out very well. I especially like the paint you have planned. Those colors will be prefect for silver leaf lettering if you decide to go that route. I've always liked the way the Bill Thomas 65 Nova looked with torq thrusts and steelies. Your car would look killer with some chrome reverse on the back and torq thrusts or cragars on the front:cool: [​IMG]

25. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Yea Kev,the large lettering on the side will be in silver leaf.
    Wheel choice is ALWAYS difficult.I was thrilled that we scored the 15x3.5 slotted Fentons.And got some slots for the rear to match.
    Brandon

26. onedge

onedge

Your have a great car going on here. Always love F/X cars. Cant wait to see it painted!

27. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Visited the shop to see the car(and hand over some more cash).The car is going to be blocked out next Mon-Wend.And Thursday the painter takes it and puts color to it.Pretty EXCITED!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon and Tara

28. straight axle

straight axle
    from Oregon

Man that is freaking great! Hard to believe it is the same car!

29. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Well,took about 3 months(not to bad),but my wifes AF/X '62 is back.
    Now the fun begins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brandon and Tara

30. straight axle

straight axle
    from Oregon

WOW!!!!!! I'm speechless!!