Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pics of 37 Ford Gassers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Can't seem to find many of these cars done as gassers. Anyone got info or better yet pics?

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Maybe someone saved pics of the "tartar sammich" one before the "improvements" started and the thread was deleted....Ryan had done a blog post on it "as found" so that may still be somewhere......if not, the kid is still on here with posts on the Hemi build up...He seems really nice, so give him a shout, maybe he will post the as found pics here - it was really bad ass.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Lots of them got used up stock car racing because they were so light, even the sedans. Gary

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Wasn't so much for them being light, had some thing to do with a rule and the solid roof [first year] which made them worth while to use....Some one may remember the ruling....

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Seb, for NASCAR perhaps, but considering all the cars crushed in WWII to make steel, the near worthless prices they had on the used car market after WWII, and the 100s and 100s of small town ovals that sprang up in the 50's with little in the way of rules... I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there were a lot of old Fords used up racing or in demo derbies. As I mentioned, even 37 Ford Tudoor sedans are lighter than the coupes - so why not drag race them instead? Now I don't know for sure if Willys coupes are lighter than a mid-late 30's or 40 Ford coupes, but I suspect they are, eh? I have a bud who raced a 37 Chevy coupe in the early 60's - H/gas with an injected stovebolt- and he won the US Nationals in his class twice. Cubes versus weight matters, too. Gary

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don't ever remember seeing one as a kid.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  7. I remember you! We still see what we have done so far as improvements, but I know some don't, which is fine. Just bear in mind that when we found it, this car was really not track worthy and it definitely wasn't drivable, pictures don't tell the whole story. It will look the same when we are done with it, except for the wheels. IMG_1476380493.084330.jpg
    IMG_1476380521.584182.jpg
    IMG_1476380573.183773.jpg

We aren't using the injection currently, but we still have it for later if we decide to convert it or something along those lines. Right now we're in the process of putting a new firewall and floor in it, the previous owner had cut the original one out and sort of cobbled one together but it wasn't going to work with our transmission combo so we went ahead and bought new sheetmetal. Here's a video of the rebuilt engine running for those interested.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

A_Burly_Wind and 40FORDPU like this.
  8. I know they were the big deal for stock and stuff here in NC back in the day. Im partial to them since I have one and had toyed with building mine as one, but too far and too much invested to change directions on the build now. Boy are those awesome done up though and that hemi has me green with envy sir.

tartar_sammich likes this.
  9. Funny too because mine was damn near that same shade of green as "galaxie" when I bought it 5 years ago. Man i shouldve built a gasser instead of a hot rod.

10. This one is from NC as well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  11. Glad it didnt end up in the wall like most of em did!

tartar_sammich likes this.
  12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

These are on the Dover dragstrip site the green one is Tom Blakes's

Pat

Attached Files:

EVL401 and A_Burly_Wind like this.