Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects picking up a car that's been sitting for 50 years...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Chain hoist is the way to go, more pulling power than a come along. Pulled a 56 Chrysler Imperial up on to a flat bed trailer with flat tires. Wasn't easy but got the job done.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  2. I've sometimes freed up stuck brakes using a jack.

Jack car up to get tire slightly off the ground and block car up. Now use bottle jack on the center tread of flat tire with the jack point at the 7:30 to 8 o'clock position. Jack until car starts to move up. Jump on bumper.

Another loading method using a Hi-Lift jack and a 12' timber. Take plenty of cribbing. Jack car up and back trailer under. For me, easier than entirely dragging it up ramps with come-a-long. Get 1/2 the car on, then use ramps.

Chevy 1957 Wagon 01.JPG

Bruce Fischer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. ..that Calif. blue 40 coupe is cherry, you guys are spoiled out west.

4. Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but if you put visqueen plastic between the cardboard and your trailer ramps, you'll almost be able to push it on by hand.

5. Have you got any old pipe around? This works almost as good as wheels. If you can jack the front of the car up high enough to get the front wheels on, back the trailer under as far as you can then roll it forward the rest of the way on 2X6 and pipe. Works best on a flat smooth surface, but another 2X6 on the dirt under the pipe will solve that problem.

20170207_183522_HDRb.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Raiman1959, rust, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  6. scotts52

scotts52

7. Good luck. Don't forget the beer....................

8. Squablow

Squablow

I've done what LowKat is describing but with just a regular jack, get one end high up in the air and put stands as far back as you can without the car tipping over and bending in half, then back the trailer under the end you jacked way up. Once you have one end on the trailer, you can put your wheel dollies under those two wheels and you're half way home.

Sheets of plywood under the other wheels will help the dollies roll up and onto the ramps.

I've moved a ton of old junk cars without a winch and never needed to pay a wrecker to do it (many of those cars would have doubled in price with the wrecker charge!) You can do this. Be sure to post pics. Lots of good useable parts on a '46 Ford that could swap onto an A rod build.

9. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

To all you guys that say JUST HIRE A WRECKER , are you even real HOTROD'ERS?...why not just buy a new Hyundai?...jeees I ADMIRE someone with a can do attitude....and that junk 40 coupe? That scrap could come live at my house any day!...( he'll I would load that rascal all by myself and smile the whole time!

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

well... slight update.. things just took a little turn in my plans.. I found out the standard open trailer I usually borrow is currently buried in the snow in a side yard loaded with wood... I put in a call to another friend who is letting me borrow his 28ft enclosed race trailer.... one extreme to the other. I havent decided if this is going to make things harder or easier as the trailer has a winch but it's big and not as easy to get in to tight spaces if this guys driveway is small. plus.. its a nice trailer that I'm going to fill with rusty crusty ford parts lol kinda like putting a stinky homeless guy in first class!

oh, and then I have to get it in my back yard through my gate (no driveway, just grass out to the garage) and I have 8" of snow forecast tonight! looks like I'm snowblowing half my yard tomorrow.

still going to need all the same supplies though.... loving your comments guys, some great ideas. If I can manage it the one about jacking the front end up enough to get the trailer under the tires with casters right on the ramp sounds like a great idea. just need to put enough plywood on the ramp to bridge the gap.

Squablow likes this.
  11. philo426

philo426

Do what you have to do to make it happen.Should make for an interesting project.

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D And another adventure begins.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Scat skaters

14. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I picked up an early Corvair last summer, presumably a parts car
    , but that's another story. I have a Big Tex car trailer with a 6,500 lb Warn remote control 12volt winch. But that trailer was sidelined with a bent axle, so I took a friend's trailer. I checked out the car in advance and knew it had one frozen wheel and flat.
    Like you, I anticipated what I might need; gas generator, 110 volt 2,000 lb winch, air tank, come a long, Jacks, help you name it. The most difficult loading I have ever done, and I've had a few winners.
    As they say, hindsight is 20/20.
    I should have hired a tow truck with a winch and snatch block and had him pull the car onto my trailer. I would have been out of there without breaking a sweat and worried about how to unload at home with all my tools at my disposal.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

This thread has been great. Good ideas of all kinds.
    So I've gotta go get my Corvair parts car from a yard in L.A. It had locked up brakes and 4 old flat tires with broken off valve stems. I worked my a$$ off and finally managed to get all but one brake assembly freed up and turning by smacking 'em with a hammer along the outer drum where the lining would be. The last one just wouldn't budge so I cut the center loose from the outer ring with an abrasive wheel. Cool.
    So I took the tires to a local tire shop to have them break the beads so I could replace the valve stems - they said they wouldn't touch them since they were over ten years old! Wow. Had to borrow a bead breaker from a buddy who runs circle track cars.
    Next time I won't bother doing all that work to get it to roll, I'm trying some of your tips instead. Thanks.

16. philo426

philo426

Yes and a Corvair is not a heavy car.If it was a big 56 Caddy it would be even worse.

17. Picking up my 59 Custom Royal this past summer involved a 10,000lb winch with a snatch block and a skid steer. Had four locked up wheels but 2.5 hours later and some swearing it was on the trailer![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. philo426

philo426

Yeah those 59 Dodges are really cool.

19. Why are you attempting this during a bad winter ?

A borrowed trailer is a bad idea - an enclosed borrowed race trailer is an even worse idea.

If you don't have your own trailer - don't risk wrecking someone else's equipment on an adventure.

Jim

jim snow, figure8, abe lugo and 2 others like this.
  20. ..I hope to see pics/info on the rescue no matter how you do it.

21. Wait for the snow and just drag it home.....LOL

22. Clutchburner

Clutchburner
    from Michigan

Sometimes you need to pick your battles.I would opt for a flatbed and get it home.try to save $$ elsewhere down the line.

figure8 and trulyvintage like this.
  23. rjones35

rjones35

Awesome!! I think we would all appreciate a video of the fun!

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Well here's mother nature's contribution to the cause. A foot of snow to move out from the front of the garage...

20170209_150622.jpg 20170209_150606.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Mother Nature just trying to help you get some Cool pics

26. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Karma hates me right now... water heater just started leaking!

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

U-Haul open car trailer 54 bucks for 24 hours. How cheap are you for crying out loud ? Don't risk a friendship over screwing up their enclosed trailer in the winter time over an old rusty car.
    Snow just makes the cardboard slide better. Spray it with Pam and it will slide real smooth in the snow. Just get a come a long and drag it up on the trailer.
    I am one of the ones that suggested a roll back to load the car, and yes I am a 67 year old hot rodder that has been screwing with old junk since I was 12 years old. I have also learned over the years work smarter, not harder. Also a former tow truck driver.

hugh m and trulyvintage like this.
  28. I am 65 and I also go for the tow truck,this Buick was in same spot sense 1969 all four wheels locked up,when young I would trailer it to old and weak now lol

Attached Files: