Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up my first project! 56' Chevy 150

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by braydenh, May 25, 2016.

1. braydenh

braydenh

Recently picked up my first project! All glass good and body is straight! Couldn't be happier with it! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Congrats! What are your plans for it?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. braydenh

braydenh

Get the motor running, clean up the undercarriage, and interior so far. Just want something to cruise in the summer! Once the snow falls ill have more time to start body work, and quite possibly paint!

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Leave the paint, get some fiesta caps!

slv63 and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. Looks like it may have some righteous patina worth enjoying for a while... is the passenger side as straight as the driver side?

Any more pics?

6. braydenh

braydenh

I'll post some more tomorrow! And yes, all doors close with ease!

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

One, it's a 56; two, it's a 150. Has my vote, even with two extra doors.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Is that original paint? Looks chalky, bet it could be brought back at least a little. Your car has the straight 6 emblems, is that the engine in it? Welcome to tri 5 ownership.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wash and wheels, congrats!

10. braydenh

braydenh

Has a straight 6 in it, but seized. Have tried diesel in the cylinders but nothing! And yes, original paint and patina. Beauty eh?

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Beauty for sure. keep trying mystery oil in cylinders, it may take a few days but worth it. If it doesn't, then you have an excuse to put a v8 in there. Good luck

jeffd1988 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. braydenh

braydenh

[​IMG]

Here's the other side of the car, for those who were wondering. I'll give the mystery oil another shot. If not I have another straight 6 I could pick up!

13. Cool car! I love 56 chevys. It would make a great daily driver , depending on where you live. Please keep us posted. Build it safe and dependable. Then just drive the wheels off her. A great road trip car for the whole family to enjoy. That's what makes our 56 so much FUN! Ron...

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Looks like a solid start to a fine project. I am a sucker for '56's and being a 150 is icing on the cake. It makes me think of an old four door bracket racer that I saw in Hot Rod many years ago called "Doors Galore".

Hope you can get her going soon and enjoy the heck out of it. Congrats.

15. NICE ,MAN, NICE.Bruce.

braydenh likes this.
  16. braydenh

braydenh

Thanks guys for all the comments!

I think this weekend I'm going to gut the interior (mice got to it pretty good) and try getting the motor to crank. Transmission appears to be good in it aswell. If all else fails, I have a friend with another straight 6 and transmission I could throw in!

Hoping to have her going before summer so I have something to cruise in!

17. Looks like a good cantidate for a V8 swap and a 4 door to 2 door conversion.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep, pull the plugs,put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder,wait a day or 2 and if its a straight shift get a hold of the radiator support (make sure its in gear)and start rocking the car back and forth until it breaks loose, done a 55 with a 6 like that and it worked.

Have done other straight shift cars and trucks by putting the marvel mystery oil in and pulling them with another vehicle and popping the clutch after getting up to a low speed........I would try the rocking back and forth first.

If an automatic you can try a socket and breaker bar on the end of the crank in front or vice grips on the flywheel or a big screw driver or one way tire tool to try and pry to turn the flywheel teeth. never had much luck tryin to turn em by hand this way but it will work better than tryin to just use the starter alone.

I have also heard some of the old automatics would engage after a certain speed by pulling them but Im not sure about that one or which ones will do it, so......

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    braydenh likes this.
  19. Brayden,

Does the car have any sort of interesting backstory? When is the last time you think/know it may have run?

20. braydenh

braydenh

The guy who had it before the guy I bought it from was gonna torch the barn it was in. That's about all I know! I'll have to get in touch with the previous owner and see if he knows anything! Would be cool to know more about it!

21. Don't throw anything from the interior out! Not everything is available, hard to believe, I know. There's some window channel pieces for example that have to be re-used when setting the tracks.
    You have a solid car there. I want to see how that paint comes out. Looks like you have the dreaded headlight cap rust.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  22. Classic industries has your fenders for $700. Each. Or you can get headlight and bottom patch panels, start welding!
    You're probably a weekend away from having a running car.

23. braydenh

braydenh

chevy57dude : that's what I'm hoping to get. The seats need to go, you can smell those bad boys from a mile away! Only thing needed in the interior is a damn good cleaning / de-stinking, headliner, seat foam, and seat covers! And the body work will be a winter project for me! I just want to get out and enjoy this thing!

24. Low Budget has the way to break it free. Be ready with fresh oil and filter after she fires the 1st time!
    Lots of gunk in there, I'll bet.

25. braydenh

braydenh

Awesome! Thanks for the tips everybody!

26. Yeah the upholstery gets nasty, but the seat frames are worth keeping. What part of the world are you in?

27. braydenh

braydenh

Southern part of Saskatchewan, Canada.

28. Does it have it's original seats? You going to strip them down or chuck them entirely? I remember reading a thread on Chevytalk a few weeks ago that talks about how to get rid of mouse urine smell, etc. Can't say I remember any of it, nor do I have any experience with it. Might be worth a shot...

Any pics of the interior?

Gotta56forme/Scott

29. braydenh

braydenh

I can get some tonight. I'm thinkin of tossing the foam/covers. But who knows. If I can find a thread that will save the foam I will just replace the covers and if not I'll replace the foam and the covers. Who knows. Might just throw a blanket on er and call it a day!

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '63 TBird gifted to me, (for a case of Budweiser!) Trailered it home, opened the hood and RATS were scurrying around on the engine. (intake was in the trunk, their young were nested in some intake ports!)
    They were inside the headliner, under the dash; seats reeked of ratshit and the yellow stuff. D-Con inside, and under hood...some dead rat bodies after a week, but pulled the buckets out and rear seat...Rat poop all over.
    I vaccumed it all out with the shop vac, and contracted the dreaded vermin cough...
    Sick for months. I can tell you, that was NO day at the beach.
    Finally cleaned it, lovely white 'Bullet-Bird had burned me out.
    Sold the Birdie, kept its sister, the other lovely white '63-1/2 Galaxie Fastback...(no rats or mouses)

Whatever you do, wear a mask while around that car's interior!!!!

chalkboard likes this.