Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up my first Flathead.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benny_H, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Benny_H

Benny_H

Ive been wanting to do a thread for a while now and I thought this was a good oportunity to get one started. My uncle has had this 8RT Falthead sitting around for years in the back of his shed. I have wanted and dreamed about it for as long as he has had it and after lots of dealing and conversations about who needs it more, I finally made it mine. And so I went and picked it up on Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. davo461

davo461

Well done!
    (and your Mum may be right).

3. Benny_H

Benny_H

Just pulled the heads off and Its a little worst for ware. It has obvioulsy gotten wet at some point and the bores are a little rusty but the seem solid. A few of the valves are stuck but ill smash em with some WD40 and get em out. Im sorta hoping to throw a bore and hone at it and ring,bearings and gaskets after a clean up. Fingers crossed. I think its Time I start putting that Model A Ive always wanted together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Benny_H

Benny_H

Decided to chuck a Stromberg 97 I had layin' around onto the manifold for sh*ts and gigs.

[​IMG]

5. 1952henry

1952henry

'Tis not a 59A you have there but an 8RT, from '48-52 (8RTs went to '53, but yours has the non-53 water pumps). The 8RT was the truck version of the 8BA. Same block, intake, etc., just different heads, water pumps, exhaust, and carburetor.

6. Benny_H

Benny_H

Indeed you are correct thank you for correction. :) It was made in 52 As far as I can tell. From what I have been reading these have relieved valve seats. can you confirm that? thanks.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Your engine doesn't have the factory relief, which is a good thing. They took off too much metal, and it was just a crude job all around. It was done to stop cracking the block, not so much for flow.
    BTW, you can't run that 97 with the stock distributor.

8. Benny_H

Benny_H

Thanks Nice to know.:) Yeah I was just stickin' the 97 on it for looks. Ive got a an offy dual carb manifold on the way and I have some offy heads in a box somewhere . Im gonna whack em on and see how they go. About the distributor Ive got some Ideas what would you suggest?

Thanks.

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/

looks in pretty good nick..................Check for Cracks before you do anything else.....!, plenty of good threads on here about what to look for

have fun

K

10. Benny_H

Benny_H

Thanks man.

11. Benny_H

Benny_H

Just out of curiosity why cant you use the stock distributor with a stromberg 97? I have had friends put them on and assumed it was a bolt up. I guess I should have been more nosey? Any clarity would be useful thanks.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  13. Benny_H

Benny_H

Thanks Man that helped Alot.

14. A few thoughts. Since the heads are off, get a rotary brush in a drill and thoroughly scour the block between the valves and pistons to visually check for cracks between valve seats and pistons. Not a good place to have them. Some cracks between water passage and head bolt holes is OK. If it checks out OK and you continue disassembly, prior to hot tank, spend some time with wire rods, poking down and around the cylinders through the water passages to loosen, remove as much casting sand, rust and crud as you can from the water jackets. There are several good books on flathead rebuilding, Speedway offers some. Good luck, an A-V8 is cool!
    RB

15. Benny_H

Benny_H

Thanks man, will do and let you know how I go.