Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Picked up a '39 Fargo Panel(and a Model A roadster!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BarryA

BarryA

I got a call a few weeks back about a 30/31 Model A roadster for sale. Obviously I jumped at this (don't find many over here) and started trying to make a deal.
    I was dealing with a third party as the owner had emigrated. A bit of back and forth and it seemed that we were going in circles. The guy kept mentioning the '39 Fargo that was for sale and eventually I asked for pics.
    Liking what I saw I made an offer for the pair, and this past weekend I hooked up a rented trailer and headed out on a 1000 mile round trip with a good buddy of mine. The puny little Hyundai pickup struggled a bit through some of the mountains and I was getting worried if we'd bitten off a bit too much....
    Arriving in J-Bay (surfer guys will know!) we found the A already stripped, and loading went really easy. An hour or so later we had it turned around and headed back. The return trip took a little longer: 2nd gear, 40km/h on some of the steep hills:eek:. Still the rig surprised me and we had no issues. We did have a lot of time to discuss plans, and much as I'd love to build the roadster, reality struck: There is no way I would get it built any time in the next few years, so I struck a deal with my buddy. He is going to build it, Mercury flathead and as many period bits as we can lay our hands on. I know there's going to be days when I will want to kick myself, but maybe I get some karma points in finding the 30/31 Coupe that I really want:D

And in the meantime the Fargo keeps growing on me - Thinking I can make it into a really cool family wagon / tow vehicle.......

Attached Files:

2. BarryA

BarryA

And just to get your juices flowing, these were standing in the store where we collected from. The owner is trying to export these to Australia - not for sale....:(

Attached Files:

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You scored with that Fargo I have a '42 and people always ask what the heck it is Check out: 39-47Dodgetrucks at Yahoo groups. Very friendly and Knowledgeable. Good luck with it.

4. elba

elba

That is a real nice GFARGO. Congratulations for the fined !

5. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks guys - Fortunateson I'll check out that group! I had never heard of one before much less seen one.
    I don't like the windows that were fitted later (assuming it was used as a hearse at some point). I may close up the sides again, though I'm more partial to doing roll down windows similar to the CarryAll in the pic below. They do look a bit off though and if I go that route I would rather enlarge them a little to fill the area inside the recessed panel a bit better. And of course match up with the door window to look factory.
    Going to sit with it a while though and let the ideas stew....

Attached Files:

6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Was it a hearse in its past life

Posted from Austinrod

7. BarryA

BarryA

I guess it must have been Austinrod...
    I spent about half an hour going through the body yesterday - most solid vehicle of this age that I have ever seen - no rust whatsoever. A little mud here and there, but it doesn't appear to be covering any butchered metal. There are a few patches on the rear flange of both running boards that are a little hack, but that is it. So nice to find something in such great shape!

8. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Nice find! J-Bay...my dream location for a surf.

9. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks Autodave - when it is working it is pretty amazing (even though my surfing abilities are limited to muddling along on a longboard in messy 1-2' stuff down the road from me)

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Any Updates?

BarryA likes this.
  11. BarryA

BarryA

No movement on this yet - I'll probably only be able to get onto it next year.
    The decision is pretty much made to fit opening rear windows like a Dodge CarryAll. Not comtemplating any other body mods, and I'll be getting it a little lower.
    I am throwing around running gear ideas - as much as I'd like to keep the flathead 6, I am hoping to make this a daily, but also capable of towing occasionally so a healthy mix of power vs. fuel consumption ( :eek::eek: blasphemy for a hot rodder I know;))
    I did pick up a free complete '72 C10 rear end, internals seem in good shape, 3.73:1 ratio. Width is spot on so I may go with this if the gearing works with whatever engine/trans I end up with.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love that panel. Why is he exporting to Oz if not for sale? A lot of good bodies went to SA and NZ as we produced or own 'different local' bodies, not the US versions.

BarryA likes this.
  13. BarryA

BarryA

The owner of the cars in post #2 emigrated there some time back....