Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photoshop guru's leanin tire thing again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Well I didn't get my Bonneville leanin tire pic so how about a Daytona leanin tire pic? They used to race on the beach. The pic is a little dark but it's all I got. We got kicked off right after this.
    Clark

Attached Files:

2. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

3. lulabelle

lulabelle

Dear Clark,YOU SUCK!Love Lulabelle.

4. Thanks Cleatus!!!!!!
    Lullabelle just wait til you see my other post [​IMG]
    Clark

5. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Man, I just love that "leaning tire" look! Here's my best effort with lots of motion blur and sepia, just like in those old-timey photos. Mmmmm.. tasty!

Nice looking rod by the way!

Attached Files:

6. Wow!!! Rust...that's a ART!!!! Very Cool!!!!!
    Thanks
    Clark

7. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Yeah, turned out better than I thought it ever would too. The pleasure is all mine Clark. Besides, now I have my own copy! [​IMG]

8. Elrusto

Elrusto

Wheres Hank Cash? I wanna see his version.

9. hatch

hatch
    from house

Can I play too????? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. hatch

hatch
    from house

Or maybe this??

Attached Files:

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

or this???

Attached Files:

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

Here's my try! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Hatch ...cool stuff!! What do you call the middle one? Neon??
    Buford.. never would have expected that. I could pass the thing off as having history now [​IMG]
    Clark

14. av8

av8

The wonderful old leaning-tire pictures were a result of a flying shutter that travelled across the film plane of the camera, the common exposure scheme in high-quality cameras well into the '20s.

Single and multiple blade-shutter lenses that could actually stop the action to the extent that tire lean was eliminated or nearly so, were compact and affordable, giving rise the such phenomenon as the super-popular Kodak Brownie cameras of the '20s and '30s. Multiple-blade sutter lenses evolved into the iris shutter lens that has dominated photography for several decades. Combined with super-lightweight titanium flying film-plane shutters that open and close in milliseconds, it's an entirely new game.

For anyone who is serious about learning how those old images were obtained, I have a mid-'40s Speed Grapic 4 x 5 camera that hasn't been used in years. I have no film holders for it anymore (a crate of them disappeared in a long-ago move), and I haven't exercised the old warrior in ages, so it needs a good service.

So, for anyone interested in an old view camera that can produce those leaning-tire shots on large-format film, my old Speed Graphic is yours for fifty bucks plus another twenty-for shipping. For someone who is interested and really serious about learning how it was done even before I was on the planet this is an excellent deal. But the "deal" isn't the deal. I'd be happy to have this old camera continue to sit on a library shelf as an interesting artifact just as it has done for some years. But this thread got me to thinking about how much fun someone could have with this dinosaur. Better to have it being used and productive rather than just being admired.

I've put a price on the camera simply to qualify interested parties who will likely follow through and learn how to produce that neat old style with modern subjects.

This doesn't need to be a HAMB auction. Simply PM me with a brief statment telling me why you should have the old Speed Graphic and what you will do with it.

15. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

Something I learned about the phenomenon in a photography class at University. If you scrutinize old photo's you'll notice that ONLY the tires, and not the whole car, are "leaning". This is due to the fact that, while panning to capture a picture of the passing vehicle, the top of the tire is rolling forward at the same speed and direction as the car. But the bottom of the tire (where it meets the road) is traveling the OPPOSITE direction towards the rear of the car. The combination of tall tires, and slow shutter speeds exaggerate this effect. Thus the bottom of the tire appears on film to be trailing or leaning. Modern cameras, with their ultra-fast shutter speeds have essentially eleminated this effect... and what a pity!

Oh yeah, and av8 is right! Git that ole Speed Graphic off the shelf and into someones youngin's hands I say. They may be dinosaurs, but their damned cool cameras! Ask me how I know. [​IMG]