Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phoenix, Deer Valley Drag Strip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mltdwn12, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Perhaps I could have written differently. The strip that I suspect was the 'Chandler' airstrip where the races were held is not at Stellar. We simply took off and landed at Stellar.
    The place in question is south of Stellar, south of Queen Creek, east of I-10 and west of Price. Here is a pic from google earth

[​IMG]

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd bet that's it and the same one in the link I posted. The Historic Aerials site isn't cooperating with me right now or I'd see if some tracks are visible on the tarmac, assuming they have an good image from that time. At least a couple other auxiliary fields in the area do show evidence of drag and road course racing.

Here's a couple of Chandler articles I just happened to scan to put on the Phx. thread.

Hot Rod, March '59
    003.jpg

Hot Rod, June '58
    004.jpg 005.jpg
    006.jpg

Can you imagine having 300' X 10,000' of asphalt to race on.

3. river1

river1

Lots of those Luke auxiliary fields are still around, at least on google maps.

If you look at google maps at I10 and verrado way, and I10 and palo verde way, south of the10.

later jim

lizzard71 likes this.
  4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My .02 I remember going for a drive with my parents in '58 and watching some drag racing right from the side of the hiway. Pretty sure it was south of Chandler on hiway 87 going towards the Indian res. 58 for sure as there was a new 58 Chevy blowing the doors off several other cars. Back then 87 was one of the main ways from Phoenix to Tucson. As far as that goes it may have been on the Res.

5. mopacltd

mopacltd

This brings up some very cool history!