Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Phoenix, AZ vehicle laws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bustingear

bustingear

I am contemplating a move to Phoenix, AZ and would like to know how difficult it is to register my 28 ford highboy sedan . It is fender less. Are there vehicle inspections and if so what frequency? Do they have to pass emission tests as well? What about antique plates and original year plates. Further what are the rules around regular passenger cars as well.
    Thanks much for the info!

2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Just a vin inspection. No smog on 66 down. Yom plates ok. No fenders ok. In my opinion az is hot rod friendly.

3. Good decision, get the hell outa all that cold ass weather and cruise all year long!

4. lizzard71

lizzard71
    from Phoenix AZ

No smog after 1966 if you have a collector car insurance policy. Tags are cheap for older stuff. The DMV I use has always been very helpful, although they can get busy.
    Come on down, weather is great.

5. I do not have front turn signals no horn no wipers no fenders no mufflers no issues here in AZ welcome !!!!!

Frenchy

6. Guys runnin' around here with slicks, zoomie headers, packin' heat in a holster on their motorcycles...you name it .This is the Wild West, boy..:)
    Come on out..before March 16th!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Probably about the easiest state to make a hot rod legal in in the nation! What's an inspection? You mean those things you guys back east sweat every year? Hell, I own only one car that could be said to have "mufflers"!

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Great, hot rod friendly state with tons of car activity going on all year round. Third party DMV businesses make things even easier and quicker.

-GP

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You'll hate it here! It was 80 degrees here today you won't have the joy of using a snow shovel for exercise :eek: Oh,that's why I'm here! :D If you have a title you should be A-OK.

10. Phoenix is my dream. I hate it here. Use to vacation there twice a year at Squaw peak resort. Man I miss those days. I'll be there some day, even if it's my ashes.

11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

standard plate is $65.oo for 5 years for old cars. horribly EXPENSIVE for tags on a NEW car. I moved from ca 39 years ago.

12. bustingear

bustingear

Sounds good I just used my snowblower today when I returned from salt lake vu Vegas on a business trip
    What about smog on later model cars?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, we got smog tests on anything newer than '66. They are somewhat tough on smog around here, but if your car is running ok it shouldn't be an issue. I do have to second expensive tags on late models though. the girlfriend just bought a new Honda this summer and showed me the reciept for the tags... I didn't know numbers went that high! Unless their Pesos, of course.

14. We paid roughly $1000 a piece for one years worth of licensing on a 1996 Chevrolet 1 ton Flatbed, and a 1998 Chevrolet Camaro in Washington state. Then in '99 the $35 flat rate tabs got voted in.... now it's back up to about $90 a year, for those suckers that do that sort of stuff.:p

Coming from a guy that just dealt with the title transfer process, and plate purchasing in Arizona, I've never dealt with anything easier. It's a little different than home, so, slightly confusing at first, BUT, super cheap, and simple. I just did a title transfer, on an already in state vehicle, and purchased plates with one years registration for $35. It was a 1952 Buick, and they didn't ask me a single thing. The weirdest thing to me was that they printed me a title, and handed it to me right then and there. It takes a week to get it in the mail back in Washington. I suspect the inspection everyone is talking about is due to your car coming from out of state. Other than that, no worries. I've been driving my pickup without a grille or headlights for quite awhile, and I'm in down town.:eek::D

15. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Or if you want it even easier move to My hometown of Prescott AZ 90 miles north, no inspections, no smog no nothing for any year vehicle and only 60 minutes from phx, stays in the 70's for most of the year no really harsh summer and you get a week of snow if your lucky in the winter. most people retire there. plenty of car happenings up there too. and its all pines so your not staring at cactus all day:D

16. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

phoenix is super easy to tag I registered my 31(no fenders open headers blah blah blah) for 2 year tags a couple weeks ago it was 100 bucks and thats including the 3rd party service fee you shouldn't have any issues.

17. yruhot

yruhot

Hope you like it hot. My wifes family is from Phoenix and I tease them that the only reason they built Phoenix is so we people that live up Here in Las Vegas can say" Man is it hot in Phoenix, lot hotter than here.:" I like Phoenix though, nice people.YRUHOT..........Doug