Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Phase II - 383 build/440 transplant for my '65 Fury - tech questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, May 25, 2016.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello -

I figured that the original "383 build for my '65 Fury" was flogged, but I still need a few pieces of information.

Quick background if this is your 1st read - Wanted to build a 383 for my '65 Fury 4spd, but after doing the math, I found that it made more sense to go with a bigger cube motor. Found a built/running 440, for less than the planned 383 build, so I bought it.

Now I have to transplant the 440 into my 383 Fury. Question:

Several people on www.forcbodiesonly.com mentioned that I might need new/adaptor motor mounts to get the '70 440 into my '65 Fury. Is that the case? If it is, anyone know where to get them?

The current owner offered to replace the valley pan with one that blocked off the exhaust crossover. Has anyone done that? What are the benefits? Will it affect driveability?

The motor has a highly customized dual feed 800cfm Holley, and the motor runs like a scalded cat. The carb has no choke, and a bunch of mods I probably know nothing about. The owner offered to put a Carter Thermoquad on it that might be more "street friendly". Are Thermoquads good? Bad? Horrible? Any watch-outs? I'm leaning towards keeping the Holley.

The car has an electric fuel pump, but the mechanical one is still bolted to the engine. Should I consider an electric fuel pump as well, or will the mechanical one be able to property feed the carb?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The 440 should be a bolt in. Check the front balancer to verify if it is neutral balance. It should be symmetrical as opposed to one with an obvious lump on the side. Remember that you are dealing with a nearly 50 year old engine and many things could be changed.
    Yep keep the Holley and the mechanical pump should be fine.

3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

If the boss is drilled and tapped on the front of the engine it is a bolt in if not it's a pita 65 C bodies used a unique motor mount and was only used on 65 C bodies and big block a bodies. Not all blocks are tapped for it.

warbird1 likes this.
  4. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

65pacecar - the engine is NOT tapped for the original type motor mounts, nor does it have the bosses in the head necessary to do so. Fortunately, Schumacher (www.engine-swaps.com) makes an adaptor motor mount that requires the block to be drilled and tapped by the oil pump. It IS a PITA, but very do-able. That was a learning experience...

Chris

5. Earth Quake

Earth Quake
    from Milwaukee

I had a Carter Thermoquad on my 69 440 GTX. If their set up right they are an excellent carb. They can be finicky though and I don't care for the plastic bowl especially when its hot out. I ended up scraping it out and went with 2 Holley 4 barrels on a Weiand tunnel ram.

6. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

They make great mounts and nice quality. That job is a pita though.