Register now to get rid of these ads!

Petersen Museum sellling of Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquireDon, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Who cares??? Everyone boo hooed when the Harrah collection was sold, but guess what? The scrapper didn't get them. They ended up in the hands of people, many who drive them and drag them out for others to see at shows, etc. Museums are mausoleums. Some of these cars will actually get fired up and driven, every so often.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what's next? are you going to tell me that the Muppets aren't real?

3. I went through the complete list...there are at least a dozen cars in there that have been on my short list for a long time. Most of them aren't traditional hot rods but they are great cars that I'll never be able to afford anyway.

4. 1995 Eddie Bauer edition Bronco....yeah, horrible loss for the collection. :rolleyes:

5. Ah..'Scrape' is for sale. I remember before that car was famous a friend of mine was asked to paint it but he didn't have the time to cause he had other projects. I'm sure he would have if he had known the future of this car lol.

6. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

I went to the Petersen Museum last year and they had a huge scooter exhibit. I was there for a total of 10 minutes.

7. LA does not need another French automobile museum, with Mullins now on the board he is probably trying to off load a few of his own cars. FWIW Maggie Petersen estate donated $100,000,000 to the museum in 2011, it is not as though they need the money plus they do have ample room.

8. Outer Limits Vette by Ray Farhner

350-cid, OHV V-8 engine, four-speed manual transmission, suspension and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. Wheelbase: 98-inches

Built from a previously wrecked split-window coupe, Outer Limits was created by Ray Farhner, the Kansas City customizer also responsible for the Boothill Express. Its signature is the asymmetric styling, the theme beloved of Virgil Exner and practiced by a number of other customizers during the 1960s. Farhner stretched the front by some six inches, and created offset twin grilles, the left one fitted with two headlights. The rear was also asymmetrically extended, with a taillight on the right, license plate on the left and the fuel filler moved to the driver’s side. The roof ridge was removed entirely.

After moving around to several different owners, the car fell into disrepair, until discovered by Missourian Gary Logan. Logan had the body rebuilt by Randy Logan at Grain Valley Auto Body in Grain Valley, Missouri. Logan built the engine himself from a four-bolt Chevy 350, adding TRW pistons and a TO4 AiResearch turbocharger. A Muncie M-21 four-speed transmission was installed. The next owner changed the headlights to rectangular units and added side pipes. The turbocharger was also removed.

As presented, the car has brilliant white paint and matching leather interior, all in very good condition. It has a custom instrument panel with electronic gauges, a Hurst shifter and red carpet on the floor. The undercarriage is immaculate, and this unique car is ready to please audiences and its new owner alike.

[​IMG]

9. They are also selling the Jado coupe
    [​IMG]

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Keep in mind, the museum is a business. The Peterson I imagine, has had a really rough time with revenue. To keep their doors open....they need ticket sales.
    I believe there are folks on their board that have preserved several well known rods and love them as much as we do.
    This is something different for them to try. Personally....I wish them success.
    Good bidding and new homes for some cool rides!

11. von zipper

von zipper

If I won lotto!!!!!!!!!!

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

“For me the French automobiles of the 1920s and 1930s represent the pinnacle of 20th Century art and design. As an avid collector, the preservation of these rolling sculptures for the enjoyment of future generations is both a responsibility and a pleasure. I relish the stewardship and preservation of their exciting histories.”

Peter W. Mullin

Fire Peter Mullin, problem solved. I kinda doubt people are gonna flock to the museum to see a bunch of French stuff.

13. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Mr Petersen had to give the museum a large cash infusion to keep it going , before he died

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Margie ?

15. seatex

seatex

estimated at 18 - 20k? Damn best buy in their book!

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  17. Thick fingers, Yes I did mean to type Margie :eek::eek:

18. Hard to understand why an auto museum would sell this piece of history. Maybe one day the new owner will restore it back to this version and we can all enjoy it in the Rodders Journal.

[​IMG]

19. There was only a handful of cars I saw listed that I would consider 'significant'; the ones already mentioned (Miller highboy, Spencer's T-bird, Jado coupe, maybe Farhner's Corvette) and I might add the Barris Merc to that. And as was mentioned, several of these aren't 'as built', so maybe their getting sold to someone would hasten their return to the original vision.

The rest of the 'rods' for sale are pretty 'generic' and can be seen at many shows, and these would probably be seen by more people if they weren't in the museum.

Some of those bone-stock As will make nice rod bait....:D

20. toml24

toml24

Truth be told, at the Peterson you can see the really cool stuff in 15 minutes, the sort of interesting stuff in another 15 minutes, and the boring stuff in the final 15 minutes. Now try to stretch another hour or so into the visit and it becomes a very long un-interesting stay.

21. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I was at the museum a week ago & the museum visit was nice, but it really was kind of a yawner. By any standard, the Peterson sure can't hold a candle to a trip to the Henry Ford or the Gilmore museums here in MI.

I rushed to join a group had just left for a tour of the "Vault". That was a $25 Mis-take!

Vault Rules; NO photos, NO walking between the cars, NO wandering away from the group... Plus, they had a security guard there to enforce these stupid rules. ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

Along side some really great cars that I couldn't photograph, was loads of cars I consider to be the biggest wastes of money & floor space, that I've ever seen. A Porsche 901 (woo-hoo), a fkn hideous circa 2010 Chrysler clay model, Sadam Hussein's MB limo (really?), a Mazda, some POS Pantera that Elvis shot holes in when he was pissed at some broad (really???), a Mexican Pope-mobile, etc.

If you add in the odd assortment of really fugly show cars & AMBR winners (that nobody wanted) they really managed to show just how bad taste was in the 80's & 90's. This crap made the place look like a New Jersey used car lot.

What really, really pissed me off is that I couldn't photograph iconic stuff like the NieKamp roadster, Old Yeller, the remarkable Round Door Rolls, some Delahayes, & a crapload other mind blowing cars! What was all this cool stuff doing in the basement, when they have an Alternative Energy Vehicle display upstairs? :confused:

I guess that's what you get when a car museum is run by non-car people.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been to the Petersen twice, had a great time and saw a lot of nice cars, NOT everything in the place is a Hot Rod. I live over 3,000 miles away, wonder how many people that live 2 hours away have been there? Keeping any museum open and stocked with interseting displays is a challenge. I wish Mr. Mullin and his stalff good luck. I didn't see one car in the For Sale list that wouldn't look good in private hands. Bob

23. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'm in. Been thinking about a new open top daily....

Attached Files:

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The ignorance of some HAMB posters is appalling. Pete and Margie set up a separate foundation to fund the museum years ago. While Pete made a fortune in the magazine business, he also owned some prime real estate on Sunset Blvd that also contributed to the funding of the museum. Peter Mullins has a privately funded museum in Oxnard. An excellent choice to chair the Petersen Museum board.

25. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

If Mullin has his own museum full of mostly French cars (which I'd admittedly love to check out someday), then why is it imperative for the Petersen to sell off their rods for French cars? The move comes after Mullin move to the board, so you can see why it seems more than coincidence. Some people (like me) question the move for the long term and I assure you I'm ignorant... however I don't drive a Renault or Peugeot.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's Mullin, not Mullins, for what it's worth

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Missed that one, I guess I should have scrolled farther. I packed it in after the mustangs, I'll go back for another look.

28. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

*corrected

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

OMFG!!! The ORIGINAL Gratiot T kit car???!! Oh, say it isnt so!!!!:(:(:eek:

30. banjorear

banjorear

Really sad to hear. So, to be clear, you'd need to loan something to a musuem in order for it not to become their property?