Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix ignitor upgrade Y-BLOCK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Baggs

Baggs

has anyone used one on their yblock? if so which one would i need to use for my 239???

2. Ole don

Ole don

I have had a Pertronix in a 312 for ten years. Back then , they only sold one. I use it with the Pertronix coil as well. It starts better, never misses, and runs well to nearly 7000 RPM. I would not waste money on a Y block distributor made before 1957.

3. Mattilac

Mattilac

Its worth the money. Starts great, runs great. I'm happy with mine.

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I had one with the original distributor, and never had a problem. Had to get rid of that when the teapot went and I installed an MSD.

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I put one on my 292 and it is working great.

6. i Recently installed one and runs better then ever

7. choptvan

choptvan

What's the price on one of these? Part #? My local guys cannot find one for me.

8. Baggs

Baggs

Well that is the other thing. i have been trying to look one up for price also and cant seem to find a price. i was hoping this post my "spark" something. wow that was kind of pathetic. haha. but anyway, my thoughts are either upgrading to this, or buy the msd ignition and be done with it. my plans are to upgrade to a bigger yblock later on, and i know that the msd works for most all of the yblocks, so i could swap it out later. the only thing is the msd is almost 400 dollars, and im sure an upgrade from pertronix is around 100.

9. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I think that's about right for the price, baggs. I did the Pertronix coil and cables so that bumped it up a little bit more. The MSD was a bit cheaper than $400 after doing some internet shopping and waiting for a sale. Still a bunch more than the Pertronix.

I'd make you a great deal on my old one (It was only in the car for about 3 months), but I think it is only for the '56 dual diaphragm cable drive distributor.

10. Baggs

Baggs

I appreciate the offer, but i dont think that one would work in the 239.

11. yblock292

yblock292

yep got one in my 292, runs great but don't have the part number.

12. 54-56 Y Block use part #1282 or part # 91282 if you want the Ignitor II (highly recommended) If it is still 6 volt add N6 for 6 volt negative ground to the end of the part number or P6 for 6 volt positive ground.
    use coil 40001 or 40011 for Ignitor in 12 volt, 45001 or 45011 for 6 volts Ignitor OR Ignitor II.
    1282 will run about $75.00, (a little higher for 6 volt) #91282 about $112.00, Black coils around $30.95, chrome around $32.95
    yes, I work for PerTronix corporate.

13. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I used the Accel electronic ignition in my Y-block for about a week. It worked fine, but it didn't run any better than a well-adjusted set of points. The fit & finish on it was awful, though. The shutter wheel fit really tight on the distributor shaft.

Not long after I put in the Accel, the advance weights in my distributor got stuck, so I had to pull the distributor apart to free them up. The stupid shutter wheel snapped into pieces in my hands when I pulled it off. I gave up, went back to points, and never gave it a second thought.

I hope the Pertronix is manufactured a little better.

14. Keep in mind that since you have a 239, a distributor swap is at least somewhat more complicated, and possibly a lot more complicated, depending on which version of the 239 you have. Don't buy anything until you are absolutely certain of what you are running. ;)

15. The only difference between the 239 and other 56 and older Y Blocks is the drive gear and oil pump shaft. It won't make any difference for doing the PerTronix conversion.
    An MSD or any 57 and later distributor would not be a good swap for a 55 and earlier motor if it still has the stock carb set up, so wait to do anything like that until you swap in a later motor with performance parts.

16. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Just be sure the mag ring is even with the top of pickup. Just put one on and it wouldn't fire. Had to shim under the mag ring. Works good now.

17. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I don't know, I think a '57+ distributor should work just fine in an earlier motor. Just hook the vacuum advance up to manifold vacuum, and plug up the unused vacuum ports on the carb.

The early distributor won't work without the proper carb, but I don't think it's true the other way around.

18. Hence my usage of the phrase "distributor swap", as opposed to using the phrase "Pertronix conversion". ;) :rolleyes:

Also, there is a bit more to the 239 distributor swap than just the early-style tang drive for the oil pump.