Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix and copper core wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Chev, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

I am wondering if anyone has any experience running a Pertronix with copper core spark plug wires? I know on their site they don't recomend it, but I have done a lot of things that were not manufacturer recomended..... I'll be running a stock coil, not their super hot one. I like the look of clear red copper wires and want the reliability (I am actually questioning that to) of the Pertronix.

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I don't know about the wires working ok or not but I will tell you if not their coil, I'd really recommend at least the Accel super stock coil with 42000 volts. It made one hell of a differance in performance, a much better burn and better mpg than stock with a tunnelrammed sbc. Also depending on which Pertronix kit you use, you have to make sure you're close on the primary resistance. It's either a 1.5 or .6 ohm or 3.0 ohm depending on the system you chose

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'm running Packard (metal) wire and Pertronix (a taped model) in four applications with no problems at all.

I've only had a problem with one Pertronix out of the half dozen I've run.
    It was my own fault, curiosity led me to pull the tape for a peek. I replaced it carefully but it still came off later and launched two of the magnets.

If this is a worry you could easily pull the tape and replace it with an appropriate size shrink tube.

4. George

George

I've run solid wire & stock coil w/o problems also.

5. Road Runner

Road Runner

I called and ask them about this a while ago.
    They don't recommend it for the Ignitor II but say it's OK for the Ignitor I.
    I am running their flame-thrower coil and Ignitor I with solid core (stranded copper) wires on both my daily rides for several thousands miles now with good spark and no problems. Spark gap at .042 (original was .035)

6. We actually don't recommend it with ANY of our Ignitor's, Many guys do it with good results but the reality is the electrical "leakage" of most solid core wires as you guys describe, especially those "Clear Red" ones can wreak havoc on just about any electrical ignition - MSD, PerTronix, Crane, Mallory etc. The problem is all that "noise" floating around can cause a false signal that can short out the Ignitor. It is worse with higher output coils as there is more spark energy to escape.
    You take your chances and live with the consequences.

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

I use resistor plugs to reduce RFI and EMI and my radio has no noise and I get reliable spark across the rpm range.
    My truck likes this setup since 2001 and I never think about it, but have a spare set of points in my glovebox at all times.

When I asked at the time, Pertronix was still very open with suggestions and info.
    A few months ago, I noticed a few changes with their recommendations on ballast resistors and solid wires which seem more conservative now.
    I like the Ignitor I and hope it keeps running as it did for years now.

8. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Thanks guys. Not sure which way I'll go... radio is not a worry for me since the car still has the 6 volt positive ground tube radio in it... reliability is my main concern.

9. Road Runner

Road Runner

As far as I know, the Ignitor I is just a hall-effect sensor but without any other RFI/EMF sensitive electronics, like the Ignitor II and other electronic ignitions, which also controll dwell and include advance curve adjustments.

But I can understand if Pertronix rather not reveals in any detail why the Ignitor I would be unreliable if used with soild wires.
    Its certainly safer and wiser for them to recommend against them, if they had even one failure reported.

Maybe hotroddon has some electronic insights and can enlighten us further.
    I certainly like to know why recommendations have changed lately and I am now taking chances every day, despite no problems for years.

10. The reason for not recommending Solid Core wires with the Ignitor I has to do with voltage spikes, not EMI. The hall effect can be blown out by large voltage spikes and what seems to happen is that as solid core wires in particular get old they tend to leak voltage even more. When this happens they can seek a ground path that causes a high voltage spike and that can fry the hall effect sensor. It does not happen all the time, but it does happen. We see it predominantly in Industrial applications like Fork Lifts where they Never change the plug wires. We'll get a customer that tells us he has blown a couple of modules and after we tell him to change the plug wires to suppression, we don't get the call anymore.
    It can happen with old crappy suppression wires as well but is much less likely and frequent.

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

Heres what I got back from Pertronix's Tech Dept this morning:

With the Ignitor you can use copper core plug wires. We prefer you don't use
    these wires because they have caused us issues in the past. We have seen
    that the copper core wires leak off the voltage and it can spike the Ignitor
    causing them to fail.

I would tell you to change your wires just make sure you keep a good eye on
    them. Make sure the connection stay secure and you don't get any breaks in
    the wire insulation.

Marvin Grebow Jr.
    PerTronix Inc.
    Technical Department Ext. 1030
    [email protected]

-----Original Message-----

12. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Excellent. Thanks!

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

Good advice for any type of wire and connector.
    No sense in using old and worn wiring with broken insulation or loose connectors.