Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronics Ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norris McCarty, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Does anyone know if a Pertronics Ignition Module will work on a 6 volt system? I have a stock(6 volt) 55 F100 with a 239 Y block. The application shows the same system list for a 54-60 Y block V8. 54 thru 55 were all 6 volt systems. I can't find a contact # for Pertronics to ask them.
    Thanks in advance.

2. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

I converted my flathead to 12 V and installed the pertronics ignition. Couldn't get it to work right. Went back to points and haven't had a problem. Have you considered switching to 12 V?

3. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I swear I remember something in the instructions about being able to wire them for a 6volt system, but I don't have the info in front of me so don't take my word for it.

4. MBL

MBL

My 1955 Dodge is a 6 volt pos ground system. I have the pertronix ignition for it, and it works fine. It should specify if it is for 6 volts or not..
    Tim
    MBL

5. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Try this for contact number.---------------

http://www.pertronix.com/index.htm

6. LOOK AT THESE FEATURES:

* A solid-state electronic system... "never change points again!"
    * Test results show the Ignitor delivers twice the voltage to the spark plugs, increasing horsepower, fuel economy and plug life.
    * A 2:1 improvement over point type systems in current fall time for increased coil output.
    * System is designed for use with most point-type coils, optimal performance achieved when used with our Flame-Thrower 40,000 volt coil.
    * Rotating cobalt magnets, mounted on the distributor shaft, trigger an electronic switching module (Hall effect integrated circuit)
    ...no points to burn, pit and corrode
    ...no moving and rubbing parts to wear out.
    * Electronics are molded in epoxy, eliminating deterioration from dirt, oil, grease or moisture (better foul weather performance).
    * Fits entirely inside the distributor, no "black box" to clutter your engine compartment. Stable timing... no need for any adjustments.
    * No complicated wiring makes installations easy. Compatible with 12-volt negative ground systems (some applications available for 6-V negative ground and 6 and 12-V positive ground systems)
    * Works great in stock point-type distributors as a trigger for multi spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket distributors.
    * California Resources Board E.O. #D-57-2, legal in all 50 states and Canada.
    * Guaranteed for 30 months, We Stand Behind It!

7. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

Thanks guys! I was spelling Pertronix wrong in my search!
    Have a Happy 4th!

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It has been said many times in many places that the Pertronix is sensitive to voltage spikes- which occur more often with a generator. Since most 6 volt systems still rely on a generator instead of an alternator there tends to be a belief that the Pertronix doesn't like 6 volts.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

also do not forget customer service. recently i sent 2 units back to be cked, used ones i bought. they were cked, and ret free of charge. All in a timely manner.

10. eyeball-shifter

eyeball-shifter
    from MA

i switched my flathead to a pertronix and love it.

11. My experience is that if you leave the ignition on but don't start the car, the Pertronix unit burns up.

12. I have used both 6 and 12 volt pertronix modules in the past but my latest 6 volt did not work and they wouldn't replace it because I had modified it to mount in an earlier Mallory Dist. although I had discussed the modification with some one there at an earlier date so I am bummed out. So I'm going to use points cause I can see what is going on.

13. JAWS

JAWS

Like was stated earlier, they make them for 6volt, positive and negative ground. Make sure you specify when you order.
    I just did one for a customer who converted his car to neg ground and ordered the pos ground unit as it was what the application called for. I had to reconvert his car back to positive ground, then it worked fine. Also make sure to run a ballast resistor or a coil that has more than 1.5 ohms resistance in the primary circuit or you will burn up the control module.

14. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Rule #1: Don't leave your ignition on if you aren't going to start the car. That's what ACC is for.

15. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

The newer Pertronix II actually has protection against this sort of problem.

16. I went through 2 Pertronix modules with my Rocket. First unit smoked because I left the ignition on (motor off, my fault) while troubleshooting an engine issue. Second unit went after 44 miles for no apparent reason. Sounds like it didn't like my generator. So I am back to points. I can burn 7 sets and keep a few spares under my seat for what that pertronix cost.

17. bigmike

bigmike

I had the same problem with mine on a 392, left the key on too long looking for a short and burned it up!

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Good God....are points really that difficult?

19. bigmike

bigmike

On my car with the dist. under the heaterbox and behind the rear 4bbl on a 2x4 setup it's a pain just getting the cap off.