Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Permatex

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by POLYFRIED 35, Aug 9, 2015.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Ok it was suggested I use Permatex rather than the rubber seals that came with my intake set.

Well the auto parts store had several to choose from ... Not being familiar I picked anaerobic Gasket Maker.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439152897.889823.jpg
    Well this stuff doesn't seem to be curing? I used the surface prep as suggested on the package???

Does it just take a while or do I need to pull the intake again and use a different Permatex?

hrm2k likes this.
  2. That's not what you need for sure.

I'd pull it and seal with RTV.

Permatex makes all kinds of different chemicals.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That is some good sealer but it never sets up and is not the best for that application.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I used on of there products, gasket enhancer.
    It can't replace a gasket but as the name is telling, it enhances the gasket.
    Just talking about it' I can still remember how it smells. It sticks to a lot of things.

If you pull it apart again, it will still be wet, and if you reinstall it will leak.

But it last to the end of the world!

But don't go RTV, that's just lazy.
    It's a Saturday night life saver, but it's a temp solution. IMHO.

5. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

OK conflicting information ... why is it not what I want other than the crap doesn't set up LOL .. It says gasket maker right on the package.

What is RTV ... is this something Permatex makes?

6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I use , The Right Stuff
    I think it's a Permatex prod

fiftiescat and POLYFRIED 35 like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Anerobic means "in the absence of air " works like threadlocker, RTV is aerobic, cures in air [room temperature vulcanizing] at room temp..... read man , the web is full of info !!
    dave

lothiandon1940 and kevinwalshe like this.
  8. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

That's why I'm here, to read/learn! So this stuff I bought is for bolt threads and the like? It shows a vaulve cover or similar on the package grrr... I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow... maybe I will just use the friggin rubber end gaskets that came with the set..

9. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

BTW if I put saran wrap over the seams to cut off air will it then cure/seal?

10. squirrel

squirrel

I use the old fashioned Permatex Aviation sealer on intake, water pump, timing cover, etc gaskets.

[​IMG]

Maybe that's what you wanted?

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I use a couple dabs of trim adhesive to hold the intake gskts. in place , then either a 1/4" bead of rtv or right stuff on the "china walls" throw the rubber in the trash. Make sure you run the rtv up onto the ends of the gaskets. If you're using an aluminum intake , a smear of rtv under & over the water ports can't hurt..dave

12. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

My issue is the ends.... Another forum suggested the rubber seLs that come with the set are useless and I was told to toss those and use Permatex. I used the regular gaskets on the side ports. The problem is the Permatex I chose does not seem to be curing.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What you're being told is to actually use a SILICONE gasket making material, made by lots of different companies. Personally, on SBC's, I've always used the rubber end gaskets, but I dimple the block and intake surfaces, to give the gasket something to "grip" to, using a center punch. A little sealer gets used on the ends. I have never used silicone sealer, although guys swear by it, and GM even uses it. In my case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe I've just been lucky nothing's leaked. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think it depends on how tight of a gap you have at the ends.
    If its close enough then you wont have a chance of it blowing out.
    the right stuff is the shit

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Use 1/4 inch RVT (red, blue or black) in place of the those "end" rubber seals. My brothers and I did as far back as the late 70s because those rubber seals never held good. Before that, we would make little dimples onto the block, where the rubber seal goes but it didn't always work. One more thing, let the RVT harden a bit (not completely but just till it's a little firm) before you bolt the intake on.
    You can also put a little bead of RVT on the intake gasket (where it meets the head) to help hold the gasket in place.

302GMC likes this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

rtv silicone or right stuff is soooo much easier to use and almost idiot proof , I'll never go back to the rubber or cork end seals....
    dave

17. squirrel

squirrel

RTV is Silicone, is Rubber....that's what you want on the ends of the manifold. Right Stuff will work, too, it just costs more.

You can use the seals that come with the gasket set, with a dab of RTV at each end of them, but they don't work as well as a well placed long bead of a silicone type sealer.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I say "Permatex" I mean Permatex #2. The brown stuff of my childhood. Still a good product

Torkwrench and 302GMC like this.
  19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's a gasket "dressing" not a gasket 'maker"

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Sillycon seal is for people who don't have much mechanical ability. The excess slopped over the edges ends up in all the wrong places. The pretty blue color hanging out of the seams automatically brands you as an amateur.

21. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

So what should I use? The rubber seals that came with the set? Permatex also sells a grey "helper" for the rubber seals.

22. squirrel

squirrel

The ends of intake manifolds are the one place to use silicone sealer. Some guys use it everywhere, which is what he's complaining about.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I always test fit the intake first to see if I have room for the rubber end seal.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

crap job is a crap job , regardless of the material used .. too bad you hang around half-assed parts changers , some of us can do a great job w/ modern materials..
    dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I must be the only guy left that uses the factory type seals. NO , I don't have trouble with them .People tell me " they blow out". Guess what , if you blow those seals out you have too much blow-by. Fix the engine and they work fine for a long time.
    If you have a properly installed crankcase ventilation system there is no way they should blow out. There shouldn't be any pressure in there .

26. squirrel

squirrel

The rubber seals sometimes work, sometimes don't...with aftermarket manifolds, they are less likely to fit properly. Chevy gave up on them around 1980.

27. Anerobic sealer will seal valve covers... Provided it's an aluminum valve cover with a machined mating surface. And it's sealing against another machined surface on the cylinder head. It's made to seal thin gaps like the halves of an aluminum transmission or transfer case. Sealing a stamped steel valve cover to cast finish rail on the head requires a gasket or RTV sealant, as mentioned above. Same thing goes for sealing the end rails of an intake to the block.

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Silicone on the ends, done deal. Trim any excess when cured, to avoid cries of 'amateur' by the....um...professionals.

29. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I try to utilize as many of the factory gaskets as I can, but the Permatex "right stuff" is by far my favorite. You can use it in place of some gaskets, or you can use it to glue the gasket to whatever you're working on. Wiping the mating surfaces with wax & grease remover prior to applying the silicone keeps the sealer from sliding all over. Everyone's got their own groove, but as someone who spends 70 hours a week wrenching, I find this works well.

Just always try to be as neat as you can. Things look shitty with silicone squished out everywhere.

-AC

POLYFRIED 35 likes this.
  30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

A main complaint is the silicon squishing. I like to squeeze silicone. But seriously as I said before, when using it in place of the rubber end gaskets, you need to let it firm up a bit before installing the intake. If not, it won't seal properly and too much will squeeze out.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.